Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

LADY PLANNERS

96 replies [Last post]
Gwen Blair
User offline. Last seen 10 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
I wondered if there would be any value in starting up a thread soley for the purpose of cross fertilisation of ideas and problems unique to being a woman in planning regardless of industry.
Topics under discussion could be promotion of lack of it, blocking, pay discrepancies.
You never know the boys might learn something new.
Can PP give us a percentage of the female/male/gender unknown breakdown?

Girls?

Replies

Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 10 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Alastair

I have got a very broad background is project planning/project controls, incl site and office works, if you send me an email I will send you my detailed cv, I am looking for something long term as have been doing fill in jobs/tender programmes/getting replaced by perm people,

my email address is bradley.lord2@networkrail.co.uk

regards

brad
Alastair Morrison
User offline. Last seen 5 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Brad

If you look under the jobs page, Pharmaceutical Projects
in scotland you can see more details

Rgds

Alastair
Brad Lord
Alastair

Are u looking for contract or perm??

am a contractor

£375 pr pf day

regards

bradley
Sara Dean
User offline. Last seen 13 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks!
Sue Chambers
User offline. Last seen 14 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
I agree with you sara it is also my experience that if you put to many females together the backstabbing and backbiting are horrendous.
Alastair Morrison
Im sorry to hear about your bad experience Sara, the people you worked with regardless of gender were obviously not very nice individuals. If this had happened in my department it would have been dealt with immediately it was reported or noticed and with maximum effect. Bullying is certainly not tolerated by myself or my peers and sabotage well.... thats a walk out the door option for the sabatour. Immediate dismisal with no references it is a form of Gross Misconduct. I think the male boss would have been shocked at your treatment had you informed him , that is if he were one of the decent human beings. As for the male planner he should have seen what was happening and had a word with the team to sort it out. What are you doing now?

Cheers
Alastair
Sara Dean
I’ve just logged in to PP for the first time in months and come across this thread. It is a very interesting topic. A few years ago I worked in a project planning team made up of three women, one male and a male boss that went travelling for a few months and he delegated his position to one of the other female planners. It was the worst job of my life. The backstabbing, manipulation and the bullying was horrible with one girl even sabotaging work. The male planner kept himself well out of it which I don’t blame him. After five months of it I quit the job because I’d come home and burst in to tears. So Carmen, I personally don’t think your dream team would work (no offence).
Sara Dean
The funny thing is one of the girls contacted me 18 months ago and I just deleted her email. I heard these girls got there own back when one of them made a mistake with a claim. I now have a good job with WorleyParsons in London. We need some good planners as we have heaps of work if anyone is keen! Also, my boss is quite happy to employ women which is a bonus.
Alastair Morrison
You need to change your home details still says you are in Australia ? Unless Im getting this whole area thing wrong ??

Anyway Im looking for planners also , female or Male so again if interested drop me a mail.

I need 2 planners
Alastair Morrison
I have thopught bout an assistant as I require one of those also but my priority is to have onsite planning staff in Montrose as the projects are taking off and in dire need of contractual and planning controls on a daily basis on site , mainly to co ordinate progress and maintain our relationships (defend the company ) with the larger contractors......
Fiona Maughan
User offline. Last seen 10 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Alastair,

I’ve done my time (think tie a yellow ribbon) in Aberdeen (18 years).

I came to some sort of an epithany one day as I was sitting at the kitchen table, buttery in one hand, P&J in the other watching the last of my toes drop off from frostbite....

Maybe one day - but for the noo I’ll bide here.

A’ the best in your quest though

Have you thought about taking an Assistant and training them ? Risky I know as there is always the possibility that you teach them all you know and they leave for a better rate elsewhere.
Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 7 years 3 days ago. Offline
Fiona,

Fully agree with your TEAM. Based on your smart philosophy, let’s give to men the hard work where no multi tasking abilities are required.

Cheers

Alastair Morrison
AHHHHHH YOU TEASE FIONA

Arbroath would have been perfect ! Not fancy a trip to Scotland? Surely you must be fed up with the sunny climate over there?

Fiona Maughan
Carmen,

I see the way you are thinking - in that case here is what I would seeing as we get to use generalisations.....

Project Team

Upper Management - All female
Middle Management - All female

Any position which requires multi tasking - All female.

Any position which requires single function lather, rinse repeat type stuff - Male

This dream TEAM is based on the philosophy that men can only do one thing at a time !!!

Fiona Maughan
Alastair,

I’m not actually there any more. I was working on P-43 and then P-53.

I’m home now in Arbroath looking for a job....

I jest - I’m in Houston

I do know one of the guys on the Viola Water though - Frank the fifer - Controls Eng - based at the Niteroi Yard.
Carmen Arape

Fiona, As I said that is my dream TEAM.

Fully agree with Alastair with regard too much testestorone.
50% of oestrogen would impact the TEAM positively.

Cheers,
Alastair Morrison
Married single , didnt matter she was very very very good at her job and I wish there were more of her ! :-)
Alastair Morrison
Fiona,

I see you are in Brazil am I correct ? you wouldnt happen to be the planning engineer for Viola Water or Petrobras?

I have an automation contract out there in Brazil for software and control systems for FPSO’s allowing water injection on sulphate removal offshore.

Alastair
Alastair Morrison
I just want a female planner !! Too much testestorone in this Industry up here in Sunny Scotland !!
Alastair Morrison
That sounds like a fine idea Brad ! Im not too stressed and I didnt mean the little angry icon I pressed the wrong button, meant a smiley face in last post.

There is definately a shortage of planners of the female gender in Scotland, the last good one I had working with me went to Australia (come back Mrs Twine !!)
Fiona Maughan
Carmen

This sounds sort of like fantasy Football for Planners.

I personally don’t think you can say that such and such a role would be better filled by one gender or the other.

I’ve worked with both sexes in various Management Positions over the years. Those individuals with their own skills and personalities were what make them either Great, Moderate or useless in the role.

Having said that I’ve never ever worked with a female Manager who wasn’t able to do the job. The worst trait I’ve found in a female Manager was a certain "hardness" [it didn’t].

Just my two cents.....

Carmen Arape
Brad/Gwen, To all

Let’s gives live to this thread with the following exercise.
Suppose you need to build a project TEAM and is mandatory by project Director that you include ladies. 100% male team is not allowed for the whole project and departments.
How do you build the TEAM??

The dream team would be as follow:

Project Director: male
Project Managers: male

Project Control manager: female and department 50% and 50%
Contracting manager: female and department 50% and 50%
Procurement manager : female and department 50% and 50%
Document Control manager : female and department 50% and 50%

Engineering manager: male and department 50% and 50%
Construction manager: male and team at site 70% male and 30% female

Estimating manager : male or female and department 50% and 50%

Note: 50% male and 50%female

Why P. Director and P. managers males. Because they are better qualified for pushing everybody and dealing with Stress.

Why Project Control/Contracting/Procurement /Document Control management -females: because high level of Emotional intelligence is needed to support the Engineering and Construction work. And we have a better EI.

Well, that is my TEAM, What about yours ???

Cheers,
carmen
Gwen Blair
OK OK OK Cool it!!

Thread now renamed Ladies & Laddies Planners - For your Een only
Brad Lord
Alastair

Do you like employing married women for some reason!!!!!!!!!!1
Fiona Maughan
Alastair,

If I may be permitted to offer some advice.....

Planner wanted for exotic location.

This position is based minutes from the beach. Opportunity to learn new language, sample local cuisine and much more.

Brad Lord
now now alastair

you sound very stressed, take a long weekend of and relax

regards

brad
Alastair Morrison
Gwen

I dont suppose you happen to be available for planning work in Scotland? Montrose area?

Look forward to hearing from you

Rgds

Alastair

PS see jobs page in here.
Gwen Blair
Bet Horace Broon wis the Software Jockey Planner in that femily.
Gwen Blair
Or even Pa and Ma Broon? (for the literate Scottish folks out there). Which begs the question (thinking latterly) did Pa Broon have a job? It certainly could not have been the Family Planning Clinic. Ma Broon must have some Planner to get that squad oot the door tae school an work.
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Oh, I manage to squeeze-in the odd, £100M project now-and-then (every-day)
Carmen Arape

David,

Mixing with the wrong people may be.

Like to hear about your tasks at HOME.

But sometimes I think that we (women) made a mistake going to work out of HOME because the result is we have TWO JOBS.
On the other hand, when I imagine life without my Planning work It is no life FOR ME.

Conclusion I like my TWO JOBS, Home is the default job and Planning is the JOB that I LOVE.

Cheers
Sue Chambers
Sorry meant to work (typo)
Sue Chambers
Ha ha and when do you find time yo work
James Griffiths
I forgot to add that I make their lunches, fix the car, build shelving, do the house-hold accounts (using MS Project), bake cakes. Bed-making is done in about five seconds - thank goodness for a duvet. Help the Kids with their homework, supervise their wars, play donkey, explain the rules of civilised behaviour, send them to a naughty-corner.
David Waddle
User offline. Last seen 12 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
James,
Like you I do not know what an 8 hour day is and for the ladies... before work I make breakfast and the bed and feed the dogs. When I get home I make dinner (no ready meals) wash up and put away, water the wife and feed the dogs again. The week end is for shopping & hoovering...

Carmen you are very much behind the times - or mixing with the wrong people.

David
James Griffiths
If I had any clue what she did, I’d tell you.

Seriously: She does the morning / afternoon "school-run" with the girls. In between, she does quite a lot with the school’s PTA (Parent Teacher Association - for those who aren’t familiar) as well as being a school Govenor. She generally gets the pleasure of cooking dinner. Apart from that, she seems to swan-around spending my money, scratching the car and being an Agony Aunt to the various mums who can’t cope with their own little-terrors.
Carmen Arape
James,

Any RULE has an exception and I think YOU are the exception in this case.

Keep strong doing both JOBS and for sure You understand Sue and myself.
Sue Chambers
I hope I did not offend as I was only joking, my son also does the same when he can.
So what does the wife do? apologies if you are single.
James Griffiths
Now you ARE being sexist, Sue. Who said that looking after the children is a ladies job? I absolutely adore my two little sweet-peas - even though I could throttle them sometimes.

Yep, I often do the shopping on the way home. Occasionally do the cooking and washing-up. Do at least 50% of the tidying and probably 80% of the hoovering. The washing-machine does all the washing.
Sue Chambers
Nice to hear from a man doing a ladies job for once
James Griffiths
Now now, Carmen. Just to let you know that, last night, at the end of a 14-hour working-day, I picked-up the children, took them home, got them ready for bedtime, read them a story and tucked them into bed - just like I do every night. In fact I haven’t seen the inside of a pub for about 6 years.

I’m really sad and lonely!!!!

James :-)
Sue Chambers
100% Agreement Carmen
Carmen Arape

David,

We would like to be more active BUT we share our life between WORK and house. At the END of 8 working hours, we need to start the other JOB at HOME while the gents??? You go to the PUB to drink a BEER and talk about HOW good you are.

Nice weekend
Carmen

Sue Chambers
It is quiet because we are busy ha ha
David Waddle
I agree with both of you - you can do what you like and many do. My question was simply where are you all? This forum topic is very quiet in terms of female planners!
Sue Chambers
I agree with Carmen that we can do whatever we like, but also we are natural planners just look at what we do running the family and home as well as holding down a full time job.
Carmen Arape
David,

On thread 03DEC2006 You wondered WHY no more ladies contribute to this TOPIC.

Well here is my contribution:

If you educate a GIRL thinking ONLY in cooking and having BABIES , OF course she will never be able to do a Planning JOB. Give to women different education and you will be training an adult able to work in any field.

Coming from Venezuela, we understood this many YEARS ago and NOW we have the results. ENGINEERING is no longer a field for MEN. At the moment Engineering schools are dominated 50% by women.

No questions about you can or you can not. ONLY one answer , WE CAN play any ROLE and do it like or better than MEN.

Cheers,
carmen
David Waddle
Mimoune,
In such a situation the question is - is she capable of doing a good job and does she want to go to such a place? If the answer is yes then she would have my full support!

Remember female staff make up large numbers in the various aid agencies and do an excellent job in the worst of conditions, so being female is not a limiting factor.

But it is not for me to decide, what do the ladies of Planning Planet think?

David
mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
David

sorry to say that they are even unfriendly environment for men let’s say for human in general

honestly speaking, can you let your daughter or sister whatever, work with a gang of workders in a place where the nearest asphalt road is 300 kms away !!

just a remark, when i was undergraduate, we were 80 students, there was only 5 girls and guess what ! the first in class and i must admit the best student was a girl.

firendly yours

David Waddle
Mimoune,
It is interesting that you say you work in an unfriendly environment for women - the desert! Such environments are only unfriendly because the male population make them so, women are more than capable of living and working in hostile environments, and indeed many do so throughout the world in all professions.

I also wonder why more women haven’t contributed to this topic?

David
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 13 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi mimooune,
interesting topic, i think you are motivated person which have courage and encouraging women society to join planning planet.Ha ha.... But truly its good topic to be discuss, as i seen on my previous work how the lady engineer can climb the steel structure and walk on the beam ,its encorage me. Suggest you should start the topic first. hope women society will see the threads for their study about women can and cant do.

regards
mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all

I was watching this thread for a while expecting to hear about problem faces by female planner, as personally I have no idea about the subject due to the fact that I work for an unfriendly environment for women ( our project are located mainly in desert ).

But unfortunately the thread turned to be who are the best men or women, or stupid suggestion like men are smarter then women?

So can you enlighten us about the subject, as I used to think, the gender dilemma is a history affair for your respective societies!

Cheers
mimoune

Sue Chambers
Thanks Andrew I will try that
Andrew Flowerdew
User offline. Last seen 2 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Sue,

Keep an eye on the PP job page and see what comes up. Quite often training is offered with the job.

Apply, go knock em dead at the interview and keep your fingers crossed.
Sue Chambers
Andrew

Yes I have patience and I love to read, the hardest part is getting taken on having no experience in this field.
Andrew Flowerdew
Sue,

You obviously have alot of patience - hour upon hour upon hour of reading documents, drawings, etc, etc is the main part of the job.

Yes it can be extremely interesting, challenging, fun (well at least occasionally!!!!) and satisfying.

It can also be monotonous, dissapointing, frustrating and sometimes just one long hard slog to mention a few negatives.

On balance though, I enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
David Waddle
Sue,
What is it about forensic delay analysis that attracts you?

David
Sue Chambers
Oscar

You have my dream job Forensics. How do you get started in this field?
James Griffiths
Oscar - did you have network trouble or was there a point to your 4 replies?

James.
Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
james
and your point is
women are the same as men
James Griffiths
Ray - thankyou. You have just re-iterated that which I have been trying to say all along - but I keep being moderated. If we start discriminating by gender, then we have to start discriminating by other criteria. It all ends in a farce.

James.
Ray Dawson
User offline. Last seen 6 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Prior to us leaping into the PC world of a womans only section in the forum:

Are we not looking for equality of pay, terms and
conditions?

Why are we doing it, do women need special treatment?
If so it would imply that the above statment is not true.

Think, how would the female portion of the PP greet a man only section!

James Griffiths
Ok Gwen and all Lady Planners: the forum is now yours. Please start raising the issues.

James.
Nigel Winkley
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Gwen, Lady Planners and All

Worked with maybe 10 female planners in 30 years. One was my boss and 10 years younger than me.

They were all probably better than the fellas - no doubt due to the fact that they were treated by all as second class and therefore had to perform better to be treated as the same.

Start a lady planners section. You guys face different problems to us fellas - as well as the ususal stuff that we all face - and need a forum to raise those issues.

Should be more of you. On site here there are several lady surveyors, engineers etc but no planners.

As for the chauvinists out there, live with it, the world has changed since Queen Victoria.

Nige
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Umerfarook
Nice to see at least one person realises what women do
There is no doubt in my mind that when they arrive things change
Perhaps a balance is restored
It has however come to my attention that women represent at least 50% of the poulation and on this basis it could be assumed that they should have a voice, a subject which you appear to concure with as you indicate they are prone to talking.
As the majority of this site is dominated by males an small section for females appears appropiate
Perhaps you could further explain your rationale that this should not be the case
I am sure that the females would be eager to respond and for my own part I would be eager to read the results of the debate.
Clive
Gwen Blair
Quick answer to a few points.

1. Ray works in SVT - Very little sun shine there at this time of year.
2. Have to agree with Ray. One of two things happen when a woman hits site. She becomes "one of the boys" or, as Ray says, the working environment does change.
2. WRT the slanderous comment on "Women gossiping". I know some men, planners included, that would give fishwives a good run for their money. And before the PC sector jumps on my back its a term of speech where I come from and not at all derogatory to women who work in the fish processing industry.
3. "Softer Issues" not very well covered in the NET/Reference books etc. As a GENERAL rule, most of the hard questions pitched in PP are easily researched in Help Tutorials, reference books, googled etc. One of PP purposes is to be a forum for interphasing with the Planning sector.
4. It never ceases to amaze me how some sectors of this PP community have hidden agendas, be it politics, gender bias or taking personal issue. Read the question and comments. Should it not be of interest or it offends, pass it over. No need to open Pandoras box.
David Waddle
Well that can be interesting and very challenging both in finding the information but the fun part often comes in working out what to do with it - it isn’t quite so straightforward as it appears in the books or the SCL Protocol.

You can email me if you would like to know more.

Sue Chambers
It is not so much delay analysis, but the forensic analysis itself, all the investigating to find out what really happened
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Umerfarook,

I think you may have misinterpreted the purpose of this thread. If you go back to Gwen’s original post, you will see that she is asking whether it would be a good idea to have a thread which dealt with how women are perceived in planning and the unique problems they face because of that perception.

I disagree with you when you say that this is not related to the intent of the Planning Planet forum. The forum is here to gather and disseminate information, not just on the technical aspects of planning, but the problems faced by the people who work as planners as well. You pointed out yourself that planning is a male dominated occupation, all the more reason to find out the difficulties women face simply because they are women.

In fact you give a graphic demonstration of one of the problems women face with your unfounded assertion that the only thing Gwen is interested is gossiping which you say is "(Females most common hobby or passion)". You then "request you not to try of discriminating the PP forum on gender basis", can I suggest that you do the same.

Chris Oggham
David Waddle
Umerfarook,
I wondered what you consider to be ’appropriate’for a PP topic. This is after all an open forum for planners around the planet, is it not?

In the UK construction industry, there is a major campaign to attract more females to the industry and to give them a voice so it would appear that somebody believes it is appropriate; and the fact that Gwen raised the subject in the first place confirms this.

David
Umerfarook Deshmukh
User offline. Last seen 15 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
This is really intresting thread came across to me, which is not at all related with the intent of PP forum!!!!!

Anyway Gwen as u have started this inappropriate topic, this gives an indication that you are more intrested in gossipping ( Females most common hobby or passion)rather than discussing planning problems which can be solved effeciently and effectively with the help of all PP memebers and which is dominate by male.

I request you not to try of discriminating the PP forum on gender basis.For your kind information in my planning career of 7 years I have worked with 3 Lady planners and one of them was heading my department and I have never sensed any difficulty working with them and vice versa.

Cheers
Fiona Maughan
Ray

Are you kidding ???? I hope so.....

Ray Dawson
User offline. Last seen 6 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
I regard a lady planner in the office as an esential tool, in any industry there are those men who are bad news but are like a lamb in a woman’s presence. and with diversity and inclusion a hot topic it helps the balance, all we need now is for one of the guys to come out of the closet and someone else to get a good suntan
David Waddle
Gwen,
I have to say that I have worked with 3 female planners in my entire career (20+ years) and my experience has been that they are very good with the software but they lack the project experience to be good planners.

However, the important point is that this is a feature of the construction industry today (at least in the UK) and it has nothing to do with being male or female. It is simply that training is poor and so many people with only 2 or 3 years site experience are suddenly becoming senior planners.

As someone who has headed a planning department, I am more than happy to employ female planners so long as they have real experience.

David
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi there,

Moderation of Forum

After 344 emails asking for some discussion on the topic of how to keep the peace and harmony inside the discussion forum, we have setup a survey question relating to moderation of the sites content; mainly the discussion forum.  

The idea of a survey is first-rate and if people state their preference, it will help us to come to good consensus of the way forward.

We hope / think that everyone realises that the moderators have a pretty thankless job - they graciously volunteer their time and knowledge.  Hopefully the survey should solve this problem and give us all some guidance as to the way forward etc....

The survey can be fund here... http://www.planningplanet.com/vote/Vote_Question_Options.asp?vid=900

Regards...
John Lawson
User offline. Last seen 11 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi

I always thought that me being ignored and spoken over was to do with me being a planner!

Regards

John
Gwen Blair
Well Thank you Gents.

And the first problem is not being listened too because you are female or worse being spoken over or to your boobs/legs/erse (depending on dominant speakers preference).

Would suggest that if this is the case male or female that you follow up with an e mail to reaffirm your case.
"I told you so last week/month/year" trying not to sound sarcastic or scowling is so difficult and unprofessional!
(But gives great satisfaction and a good laugh out of earshot)

And on a timely note "Senior" as in Senior Planner is now illegal as least in the UK Sector today.
Management (in the UK) please take note.

Chris Oggham
Andrew,

While I agree with you that it would be a great pity if female members felt they needed a separate forum to give their views, I don’t think that was what Gwen was actually suggesting. As I understood it from her original post, Gwen suggested a thread to discuss the particular problems faced by women in the planning sector.

Hopefully a constructive discussion would result in solutions and increased knowledge which could only be of benefit to those of us with management responsibilities. I completely agree with you when you say that people should be judged on their ability and not their sex, and if it is used correctly, a thread such as the one suggested by Gwen, would help highlight preconceptions and misconceptions with regard to women in planning.

Sorry Gwen if I’m stealing your thunder, but I think that this could be extremely useful to all of us.

Chris Oggham
Andrew Flowerdew
Lady planners - can’t say I’ve come across one yet, but I have no doubt they are as competent as any male. Ladies in other sectors of the industry I have come across are as good as their male counterparts. They probably work harder as they believe they need to prove themselves above and beyond the norm in this male dominated industry. That I feel is somewhat sad as male or female, your ability and not your sex should be what you are judged on. If you’re male and useless, you’re useless, similarly for females.

I was at one meeting when a male colleague said, "you see that attractive blonde over there", (not being sexist but she was blonde and very attractive) "she’s really good, she was counsel for the other party and knew her stuff". And my colleague was a very experienced expert witness so the compliment wasn’t given lightly.

Therefore my thoughts are that it would be a great pity if the female members felt they needed a seperate forum to give their views. They’re thoughts and contributions are as welcome and as valid as anyone elses, so ladies get posting.

Forum Guest
We have LP’s at PP... where’s this heading.

Send us a picture of your embroidered histo’s, we’ll put them on the site !!

PP Admin.
Fiona Maughan
Hi all,

I didn’t think this thread was still going as I stopped being notified - no doubt because my posts were pulled on it. I don’t believe I wrote anything rude either.

Now Gwennie when you get done with that plan I need some help I’m trying to embroider a histogram and I can’t get the stitching even....

Sue - nice to see another LP here

Cheers
Fiona
Gwen Blair
This makes good reading whilst us ladies are all knitting plans in the T room.
Tip to all lady planners whose personal space is being encroached.And we all have at least one of them in the office.
Keep a draffies 1 metre ruler in hand. Handy for swotting those pesky flies-mozzies amongst other things.
See! You lads could learn a thing or two.
Now Knit one. Press Undo. Purl. Slip a stitch. Insert line. Oops Dropped the plan.
Chris Oggham
Hi Folks,

If Gwen wants to start a ladies only thread, why not? It could prove really useful, and not just to the ladies. As far as I can see the only people who would think it was a "rubbish idea" are people, unsure of their own abilities, who feel threatened by it, (Mr Anon Ymous possibly?)

Regarding the moderators, I agree with James, they do seem to have been very active recently, not just replies being deleted, but apparently innocuous threads being closed to further posts. While it’s necessary for sites like PP to be moderated, I don’t believe that it has to be heavy-handed or dictatorial. Perhaps the Moderators themselves should be moderated and given some sort of guidance on how to carry out the task fairly and effectively.

Chris Oggham
James Griffiths
Hi,

Yes, the moderators seem to be removing an awful lot of replies - a large proportion of them being mine. Dunno why - mine aren’t rude. Apart from the gender segregation, it seems that they wish to suppress the voice of the other minority social groups who may wish to develop their own forum within PP. Because of this, my foretelling of PP becoming accused of "..isms" is now manifest.

James.
John Lawson
User offline. Last seen 11 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Moderator My reply was "removed" - it was the first reply on this most interesting subject. My reply was not rude, hopefully it was objective as were the the replies that followed. Regards John
Sue Chambers
I receive two e-mails for each reply that is posted instead of just one
Forum Guest
Clive,

We noticed this too. You will see that some threads are missing. I got one of the techies to check the files, and the thread level jumps from 8 straight to 14. It seems some responses may have been deleted.

Perhaps they were rude and were removed by moderators??

We are checking / concerned.
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Something strange is happening to this thread
I get notified of replies but they dont appear on the thread
is somebody inteferring with the Lady planners
thread????
Clive
Gwen Blair
OK Ladies to the Batcave and network to my private e mail address.
Lads, I ll be monitoring you for reciprocal sites!!
Forum Guest
Dear Gwen / Sue,

If you ladies need any help in keeping these boys under control, or getting your ’ladies group’ off the ground let us know!!

Regards PP Admin