Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

London Planning

5 replies [Last post]
Heidi Vivian
User offline. Last seen 13 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
HI All,

I am currently located in Australia and have just received my Tier One visa and will arrive in London May 18.

I am proficient in Primavera software and have almost 7 years of planning and project controls experience across a broad range of industries and disciplines. My main experience has come from the mining industry (non process infrastructure), the oil and gas industry (mainly maintenance planning and FPSO design and installation schedules )and on a rail and signalling project in London for TUBELINES.

Having worked in London previously its clear that the market is not as buoyant as it used to be. Thus far no recruiters have even responded when I have sent my CV through. Is it likely that I am just applying too early and will be better placed when I am on the ground in London? Or am I being seriously naïve in thinking that I will even get a planning job once I arrive!

Any thoughts / ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
HV.

Replies

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Heidi,

Keep you eyes open on the Primavera conference that is going to be held in May in the UK. Check the website and try to make contacts with the participating parties.

With kind regards,

Samer
Heidi Vivian
User offline. Last seen 13 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Hi All,

thanks so much for your replies.

Yes its true WA in particular is beginning to pick to up. However, my partner and I have family there and would both like to try the experience of living overseas together. I was able to get a tier 1 visa, so its a now or never kind of thing given our ages!

Mike: thanks for your words of encouragement, I had mainly been targeting those agencies that were advertising jobs. But your advice is good and the closer I get to our time of departure I will simply write to as many recruiters as I can.

To the first post. I began scheduling as "desk jockey" for Tubelines, then when I relocated back to Perth worked for consultancies whose main business was the resources industry (hence the mining and oil and gas). I don’t consider myself a senior planner by any stretch but a competent intermediate planner with good knowledge of Primavera.

Thanks Again
HV
Peter Casson
User offline. Last seen 9 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
The UK fiscal year runs from April to March. During March, April and May things usually go a bit quiet on the job front because some companies will be sorting out their budgets for the year ahead and when they have done that they will know what personnel they need. Mid May could be just the right time to arrive for new jobs coming on the market, but don’t quote me on that.

I’m curious to know why you are leaving the sunshine of WA to come to the UK, I thought the jobs market was quite bouyant in WA and Queensland.

Kind Regards
Pete
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Heidi

You are obviously looking at the Jobs section in PP - so I presume you have sent your CV to all the agencies.

Another PP source is the Links Section also go to the PEO jobs site.

If you restrict your location to London then there will be a smaller selection but if you are willing work outside the capital you will have a greater chance of success.

Three disciplines in 7 years is not extra ordinary - good luck with your search.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Heidi,

Please allow me to evaluate your experience (as you had written):

1. 7 years - Planning and Project Controls:

in the following:

A. Mining - may we know if mining of what?

B. Oil and Gas - I presumed offshore as you mentioned FPSO

C. and Rail and Signalling Project

With such diversity, you must be very good?

Best regards