Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6- In a 2 shift manhour distribution not seen.

5 replies [Last post]
Ahmed A.
User offline. Last seen 12 years 9 weeks ago. Offline

Dear All,

I prepared the schedule for a shutdown & loaded with resources.Unit of time used is Hrs. & the calender used is 24/7.

I wanted to view the activity distribution over the project time in 2 shifts,I selected the spread sheet on the top screen and the graph at bottom screen.
I selected the timescale>>Date Interval as Day/Shift>>Shift Calender as 2shift shutdown).
Now, I can see distribution of Manhours in Spread sheet in 2 shifts (in p6) BUT I cannot see the same distrubution in graph.In graph, I can only see the bar on only one shift and the other shift is shown blank ( there is no bar on the other shift).

In the picture you can see the bar on 19 (shift) & no bar on 7 (shift)

Waiting for your usual support.Thanks a lot in advance.

Replies

Muhammad Khairul ...
User offline. Last seen 7 years 2 days ago. Offline

Thank You Mr. Bruggeman.

Works like a charm.

p6_shifft_assignment.jpg

Andre Bruggeman
Groups: None

Ahmed

I ran into a similar problem. The firs thing you need to make sure is that you have made a Resource Shift. To do this you go to Enterprise => Resource Shift and add a Resource shift that meets your criteria. The second step is when you are at the resource distribution window, you select time-scale and choose under Date Format the Date Interval to be Day/Shift. Once this is selected, you need to assign a shift calendar (right below date interval). The shfit calendar is the resource shift that you created as per my description above. To finalize if this is not appearing you need to go to Edit=> User Preferences=> Resource Analysis and under the heading Time-Distributed Data you will see an option with a description "Interval for time-distributed resource calculation:" and a drop down box on the rigtht where you will have options from Hour, Days, Week, Month. Choose Hour and you should be done. you will see how it distributes the hours by shift.

Please tell me if this helped you.

Andre

Ahmed A.

Thanks for your reply Mr.Davila,

I think you have replied using your spider software which I am not using at the moment. I am looking at the over all projects cummulative manhours distribution and not by the individual resource. In attached pictures the distribution of Volume is shown on daily basis, I am looking at the shift basis.

Any replies from P6 users is highly appreciated.

p6.gif

In the above picture you can see the manhours distribution in 2 shifts but the graph is seen only at one shift.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Rafael Davila
User is online Online

SW Production

Volume Distribution

Beware that some software cannot correctly model shift work when the duration of the activity is driven by how much work is produced by the resources on different shifts.

You can try yourself a simple scenario.

Activity 1 500cm rock excavation

Resource 1 production 10cm/hr
 and works Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday 10hrs/day

Resource 2 production 15cm/hour
and works on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 10 hrs/day

If activity starts on Monday:

Monday =>> Resource 1 will produce 100 cm

Tuesday =>> Resource 1 will produce 100 cm

Wednesday =>> Resource 1 will produce 100 cm

Wednesday =>> Resource 2 will produce 150 cm

Thursday =>> Resource 2 will produce 50 cm in about 3 hours

Activity will take 3 days 3 hours.

If activity starts on Wednesday :

Wednesday =>> Resource 1 will produce 100 cm

Wednesday =>> Resource 2 will produce 150 cm

Thursday =>> Resource 2 will produce 150 cm

Friday =>> Resource 2 will produce 100 cm in about 7 hours

Activity will take 2 days 7 hours.

If your software is not capable of modeling the above, simple shift work on a single activity, then you are using the wrong tool. Every time the activity is delayed, the distribution of work is shifted, when you have many such activities and work on different hour shifts, different days it can become quite complicated. Distributing work by hand is nuts.

Regards,

Rafael

Ahmed A.

Any one plzzz reply