Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource teams in P6 20

20 replies [Last post]
Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 32 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

I would like to make resource teams (groups) for material, labour & non-labour resources so that these teams can be assing to an individual activity. For example.

I have team for  clearing existing roadsigns prior to the new roadconstruction. This is a standard team with labourer, equipment, and consumable resources.

I can assing each individual resource to a activity but I would like to do this with the assignment of an complete group including cost.

Can you help?

grondwerker/voorman 
Trilplaat, 100kn 800kg
hgm mobiel
8x4 Vrachtauto  lokaal
stort betonpuin
stort betonpuin

Regards Johennes

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

you're welcome! happy to help.

Johannes Vandenberg
Hi Rodel, Thanks for your contribution on this post. Now I can label and assign teams to multiple activities with ease. Great Johannes
Rodel Marasigan

Hi Johannes,

There is an easy workaround/ trick to assigned resources by team (roles) in P6. If all teams (roles) has already setup and assigned to resources (team members) and ready to assigned to activities:

Step 1: Select all activities having the same team

Step 2: Click add resource on resource tab or click resource icon Assign menu (usual on the right) then when the resource window pop-up show, right click on the pop-up window and select Group and Sort by then customize. On the Group and Sort pop-up window select Roles on Group by and click Ok. This will group your resources by team hierarchy (roles). “This will be done only once”.

Step 3: Select all the resources under the appropriate team (roles) and click add (+).

All Team member resource will automatically be assigned to the activities selected.

Step 4: Select the material resouces for the team.

Now the team individual resources and materials are assigned very easy. “Not as good as Spider” but works fine with me.

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 14 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Johannes,

What I understand if we say Crew, it is a group of Labor with different wage rates but the group will function as one to complete the task per duration. The output is determined at the Completion of the Task. Output shall be based from Experience.

To apply this in P6, Create a Crew Name as Parent Resource and add the individual Labor as child resource. Assign the individual Labor to each Activities. To view the summarized Cost, use the Resource Assignment and group the Resources with Hierarchy.

Settings can be adjusted based on the following:

1. Is there a limit of number of Labor or unlimited?
2. Is the Duration fix and number of Labor Fix?
3. Is the Duration dependent on the number of hours worked by the Labors?

Levelling of Labor resources can easliy be applied then. 

Regards,

Hi Johannes,

Spider Project is developed by the team that includes not only programmers but also consultants and project managers involved in managing projects in many industries. Besides we collect feedbacks and proposals from our users around the world and make improvements taking into consideration their proposals. We had our feets in the mud.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 15 min ago. Offline

Johannes Vandenberg
Hi Vladimir, That is what I expected from P6 20. Why this is still not feasible? I guess that the software developer's have not been with their feets in the mud as we.lots of work to assign each individual resource instead of complete team with one click. Or have I missed something. Raymond any suggestion? Regards Johannes

In Spider Project:

Step 1 - Create new resource crew (multiresource)

Step 2 - select what resources and in what quantities will belong to the crew

Step 3 - assign the crew to activities (all individual resources belonging to the crew will be assigned automatically)

Step 4 - enter crew productivity and workload

If the crew must be changed:

Step 1 - Open crew properties,

Step 2 - change quantities of resources that were included and include new if necessary,

Step 3 - push the button that updates this crew everywhere where it was assigned.

Johannes Vandenberg
Hi Rodel, Raphael& Vladimir. Thanks for your comments and suggesties. Option 2 as proposed by Rodel works fine. Took some time to find the correct buttons. Step 1 is to include all resources in the RBS. Step 2 is to make-up the teams in the Roles structure. Step 3 is to label the applicable resources and assign them to the teams. All resources except materials can be labeled. Step 4 is to go to the activity and assign the role (team) to the activity. At Step 5 all labeled resources in the team are separately displayed in window. Step 6 is to assign each resource separate to the activity. Repeat this for each separate resource. Step 7 is to assign the budgetten units, labor and none labor Step 7 is to include materials. These are separately assigned, as you normally would do Leveling works as planned. Regards and thanks Johannes

Rodel,

maybe I did not understand your proposal.

I understood the question as the way to assign predefined teams instead of assigning resources individually.

Did you suggest to assign resources individually as the solution?

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 14 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hello Johannes,

As Rodel suggested, create the Resource List in an Spreadsheet and make use the PIVOT in summarizing.

The Summary should show the Lsit of Teams then List of Resources under each team with individual Cost.

Or, Create the Resource Pool using the hierarchy, The parent REsource will serve as the Team or Group Name.

Regards,

Rodel Marasigan

Hi Vladimir,

I'm assuming that your read my Option 2, where resources are assigned individually on each activity and group by roles. This option has a capability of levelling the resource individually or all resources, depending on the what requires to attain.

Rodel,

I expect that the project model is created for informed decision making. The model must be able to answer to any what if questions and help to find the best management decision.

If resources are limited then any what if scenario must take into account existing constraints including resource constraints.

I know that P6 can level project resources. The quality of P6 resource leveling is the separate question.

But I asked you to explain how to level project resources in your case when on some activities not resources but teams or roles were assigned as you proposed in your post.

Rodel Marasigan

Hi Vladimir,

As I said, setup of projects is depending on the purpose of the schedule. Is the purpose for monitoring and tracking of progress towards the life cycle of the project? Is it for what-if scenario or schedule analysis? Or EVM? Or Demo? Or tailor to suit on reporting requirements? etc.

Regarding to your query, P6 had an option to level all resources or select resource to level. As the setup is individual resources allocated to activity and had a common Roles as a Team therefore you can level the resource individually or all of the same time depending on what do you want to attain.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 15 min ago. Offline

https://tensix.com/2019/03/primavera-p6-eppm-roles-role-teams/

• After assignment of a role team the line manager assigns resources to each member of the specified crew.

It looks like P6 role team is just a resource field they call a “placeholder”, useless unless the line manager decides to do actual resource assignment.  It cannot be that bad, P6 experts please clarify such incomplete and misleading approach does not make sense.

Hi Rodel,

teams consist of individual resources. Running resource leveling we want to get the schedule where individual resources are not overallocated. I don't see the way to level the schedule where instead of individual resources teams and roles are assigned.

Please explain how it can be achieved. 

Rodel Marasigan

Hi Vladimir,

Depending on the purpose of the schedule and resource assignment. It can be setup to suit the requirement.

Hi Rodel,

is accurate resource leveling possible in any of your proposals?

Rodel Marasigan

Hi Johannes,

Depending on your requirement, the said setup is posible to P6.

Option 1: If you only require the Team to make an easy assignment to activities and update the progress per Team then you can create resource as Team1, Team2,...etc... with total cost per team/ unit as unit price. Just use spreadsheet or database to make a listing of your team and each unit price so you can have the total unit price per team.

Option 2: If you require the Team need for Report such as Grouping, Sorting, Individual Resource... etc
Then you need to create as Resouce individually and assigned the resource to Roles as Team1, Team2, Team3...etc See sample below:

sampleteamresource.jpg

On the sample, you can see individual resources assigned to activity having assigned to Sample Team Role. You can use each Individual Resources for Report, grouping and sorting and update individually.

Option 3: This option is the same as Option 2 but using Roles as your team member and using resource as team. It will have the same result with option 2 including the report, grouping and sorting. See below:

sample_roles_resource.jpg

You can also update individual resources or as a group.

It looks like P6 does not have this feature.

In Spider Project such teams are called multiresources.