Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Calendars - What are they for?

33 replies [Last post]
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hello Planners.

Who among you use the Calendar option in your software to the full potential.

There was a recent topic about a work stoppage and I suggested that it should be added to a holiday non-working calendar - which prompted some surprised responses.

Weather should also be incorpoarted into calendars - who among you do this?

This is basic planning methods and should be universal.

Any Response?

Best regards

Mike Testro.

Replies

Mike Testro
Hi Anoon

The Contract Programme is the agreed programme that is used to monitor progress and demonstrate EOT.

The Construction Programme is what the contractor uses to actually build the project.

They can be the same of course but the Contractor will usually have a more ambitious programme to use with his sub-contractor’s and work package contractors.

Both should be "Bottom Up" detailed programmes.

Different calendars are assigned to their respective activities.

If calendars are assigned to different resources and more than 1 resource is applied to an activity then you can get quite strange results.

Time Zones are not inter-related to Botom Up planning - ALL programmes should be Bottom Up.

I hope that helps

Best regards

Mike Testro
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mike,

Would you mind to elaborate what are the differences between a "Construction Programme" and a "Contract Programme"? Is your "Bottom-Up" planning applicable to both?

I believe that you always emphazise the practice of "bottom-up" technique, and in the case of multiple time zones and locations, I supposed that your calendars are well defined before pressing F9 (for some softwares)? Will you share with us how you do it?

Best regards
Mike Testro
Hi Anoon

The key words are "Construction Programme" which is different to "Contract Programme".

Where there are multiple locations and time zones involved in one project then different calendars will be necessary.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Anoon Iimos
Vlad & Mike,

I thought you were good influence for us who are juniors?

Again let me try, I believe that changes to "Calendars" or time periods or working hours certainly affect "original durations"; resources and maybe project completion or other contractual milestones.

So how can you say that I can make any changes I want (only to calendars and working hours)? Do you mean without any reference to the contract?

I’m not a contracts man, so I don’t know of any contract that specifies the use of calendars (for a schedule or program).

Again for example: Say you got an EPC project to be built in UAE, the design to be done in Europe, your QS is done in USA, and your procurement department is in Russia, is a compromise regarding calendars and working hours not required or not necessary?
Mike Testro
Hi Anoon

Vladimir is quite right.

You can make any changes you like to your construction programme calendars and / or work patterns.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Hi Anoon,
Baseline or contractual schedule set targets.
Changes of woking hours mean corrective actions in the current schedule, not in the baseline. You may decide to work 10 hours per day because you are behind the baseline schedule. It does not mean contract change.
Anoon Iimos
Dear All,

I really need some clarification here... Would you agree that changing "calendars" will certainly affect the "original duration(s)"? I’m talking from an approved "baseline schedule" taking into consideration that calendars were discussed, agreed and approved beforehand.

Can you call a change in calendar, a contract variation or a change order? Or it is only a choice or discretion of the contractor considering his/her resources and the corresponding risks?

Mike, please consider that all things are fair and transparent all the time (no strategies, betrayal, etc.)
Mike Testro
Hi Gary

I am assuming that once a shut down is under way it cannot be opened up.

If so you will need 8 calendars to assign to each of the tasks in the shut down periods.

For the 8 day shutdown you will have to look at your random weather pattern and block out all days between rain days that will give you a clear 8 day dry window in between.

Obviously the shorter the shut down period the more windows will be available.

The rain day allocation should be truly random.

Set out your programme dates in days in a column on a spreadsheet.

In the next column put a rain day for each of the average anticipated rain fall for that week.

Assign a random number to each weekday in the next column -

22.3 22.6 22.1 22.7 22.5 22.4 etc and sort the rain day on the random column.

(It is possible to set up a random number generator between .1 & .7 and the results copied and added to the week number)

Unfortunately I know of no way that a calendar can be copied and pasted into a calendar set up so that will be a job for your Junior.

My Grandson will do it for a fiver.

In real time of course you will be following the mid - short term weather forecasts with great interest and adjusting your calendars accordingly.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 5 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Mike -That certainly seems simpler than my way.

Correct assumption that there won’t be by-passes.

Excellent point about time lag of rain to increased flow! I shall have to investigate that one.

Is there anything wrong with the TRA / resource approach I described, do you think? My only hesitation with your calendar method is that the earliest date for shutdown assuming dry weather wouldn’t necessarily be indicated on the schedule (if it happened to fall on a randomised calendar rain day)?

Thanks again,

Gary
Mike Testro
Hi Gary

I am assuming that there is no way that water surges can by-pass the works through temporary culverts or over pumping.

I would use the weather records for the previuos 5 years to ascertain average rainfall and number of wet days for each calendar week.

I would then set these anticipated days as a random pattern into the shutdown callendar - remeber that it also rains during weekends and holidays.

This will give you a risk buffer within the programme that will replicate the chance of a planned shutdown falling on a high rain day.

There may be a time lag between rainfall and water arrival at the works.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 5 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Mike / Vladimir / others:
I’d appreciate your advice on the following:

Currently working on a UK sewage treatment upgrade job which requires a number of partial process shutdowns (1-8hrs each)

As flow through the works is significantly increased when it rains, these shutdowns will only be permitted during dry weather. So the weather will affect the the date of the work but not the duration.

It rains every month in the UK, but some months are wetter than others.

I was thinking of using historical weather patterns to estimate a Time Risk Allowance sufficent to give say 95% confidence in at least 1 dry day, and adding that as only sucessor to the shutdown activities. I could then assign a resource to the TRA with different max utilisation for each month to represent the changing likelihood of wet days in that month.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach? Would I be better off using calendars?

Many thanks,

Gary
Mike Testro
Hi Edniel

Contract dates such as milestones are usually calendar dates - not working dates - so they could end in a holiday period such as a Sunday.

Other activities that need to have 24/7 work periods are curing & drying out times.

In delay analysis the delay effect should be set on a 24/7 calendar to show the delays in calendar days not work days.

Regarding your 8hr day 6 day week work pattern there are no significant implications in its use.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Mike Testro
Hi Anoon

Unless the Client has an electronic copy of the programme he will never know what calendars and/or work patterns are behind the durations - unless of course it is stipulated that the calendars be displayed in a column.

If the contractor is behind schedule then it is reasonable to switch from - say - an 8 hr day to a 9 hr day to show how accelerated work will reduce the contract programme.

Again if there is an anticipated weather calendar then the planned weather is switched to actual each week.

Unforeseen work stoppages should be added to the calendar to demonstrate the delay.

So yes - it is possible to change calendars and retain the integrity of the contract programme.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Edniel Recamadas
User offline. Last seen 13 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Mike & All,

Really new in planning and have this question.

1) I was advised to put a no holidays and non-working days calendar for the contract milestones, why?

2) We are using FIDIC, and the signed contract does not specify working hours and regular holiday (Sunday). The programme was built on a 8 hour a day and 6 days a week. Is there any implications to this?

Regards,
Anoon Iimos
Mike,

This is your thread, I’m just trying stir it to get the desired taste (hope you won’t mind).

Another question that comes to mind is that: Supposing that you had set your calendar(s) and working hours in your baseline schedule and it was approved, and during actual implementation of your schedule or program, is it proper or allowed to change "calendar(s)" and or working hours? Please note, only calendars and/or working hours will be changed, no changes in sequencing or logic, duration, and or all others to remain as in baseline.

cheers!
In the normal building construction we use separate calendars for 1st and 2nd shifts, for mechanisms, for curing. Concrete is supplied 6 days per week - so concreting has its own calendar.
Weather factors are used in risk analysis - there are optimistic, most probable and pessimistic calendars for activities and resources.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Marc Borburgh
User offline. Last seen 10 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Well Mike,

With the wide variety of project types and surroundings, this topic is hitting the nail on its head and making clear that no project can go with out a good set of calendars.

Glad to be able to share my experience with all of you.
Mike Testro
Hi Anoon.

I enjoy your threads and your usual direct grasp of the topics in discussion.

But why did you ask a question and then discard a reasonable answer?

When you have smelt the coffee in the morning perhaps you can have another think.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Mike Testro
Hi Marc

I was refering to normal building construction.

Rail possessions are the natural - and one of the more complex - use of calendars.

I have had to use them from time to time when I have been involved in railway projects.

High Voltage power outages in urban systems are even more complex where there may be the need for one work window between 01:00 and 03:30 any one Friday.

Miss it once and then wait for a week.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Marc Borburgh
Hi Mike,

Let me get back to you on your statement:

’’I usually have 2:

1. Outside Working with weather days.
2. Inside working with no weather.``

This of course depends completely on the type of work. I’ve been doing a rail road project a while back and with 8 tracks being re-routed while they were all in use, we had different working hours per track. Meaning that during the day time 6 tracks were being used while there were only two we could use/modify during the day time.

With new routes for all of them, every once in a while we have all 8 tracks for just 48 hours available and that meant a tremendous amount of work to make sure that after the weekend the tracks were all (at least 6 of them) available again for train traffic.

We could not have managed this project with (what I still think was the minimum) of 12 calendars. Move would have been useful, but would also complicate things more planning wise.

Anoon Iimos
Hi Mike,

You can call me "doubting Thomas", but to be honest, I just don’t want an answer that sound like it came from a software sales rep. It’s about 1:45 am now in my place and I’m not working for a "call center" or something, it is that, I just cannot sleep thinking that "Calendars" (plus working hours) really is a big issue when it comes to scheduling and I believe that for now, nobody really is so concerned that can or may give a reasonable explanation or calculations considering the use of multiple calendars and working hours and its effect to work productivity.

And I don’t want to end up by just setting a default calendar.

Best regards
Anoon Iimos
Hi Mike,

How many days you work in a week (productive days)?

I have a question regarding combination of calendars and its effect to the overall scheduling (regardless of the software used).

For example:

You got a project in one place and you need resources and supports from anywhere (globally), which means different holidays, weather conditions, working hours, etc. etc., some holidays may fall on Saturdays and Sundays and others on Thursdays and Fridays, which leaves you with Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (with 100% productivity), but still you’ll be having problems with the "working hours".

Now if you use several types of calendars to suit each and every requirement (considering different places and factors) , can you expect to get work productivity equivalent to say, 6 Days a week, 8 hours a day (from the assigned resources)?

What if you just use 24/7 (without any holiday) calendar?

Any comment is highly regarded.

Cheers!

Mike Testro
Hi Anoon

You can of course have as many calendars as you wish each with different Non Work days for particular work practices.

I usually have 2:

1. Outside Working with weather days.
2. Inside working with no weather.

If you have mixed gangs - having different weekends - then you will not get a full weeks production.

The effect can be replicated by putting together a resource group and assigning different calendars to each different group member - you will get quite strange results on rescheduling.

24/7 calendars are used for curing and drying out tasks and are not recommneded for anything else.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Mike Testro
Hi Marc

Your response is precisely why calendars are so useful.

There are a number of "embargo" periods that have to be built into any particular construction programme.

Wildlife breeding seasons is just one - Winter Earthworks Embardo periods are another.

The most complex calendar I had to construct was for a building on Sakhalin Island in Russia where every week had a different number of "True Work Hours".

Using powerproject I was able to set a different weekly work pattern onto the calendar that was used for the "External Crew".

Inside after wetheartight a different calendar applied for the "Inside Crew".

Best regards

Mike Testro
Mike Testro
Hi Tom

I am aware of the current conditions in the construction industry.

This is the 4th economic depression that I have been through.

They all follow the same cycles.

1. Reckless contractors go for as much market share as they can and then go bust.

2. Prudent contractors retrench and live off their fat for a year or so then emerge stronger and more competitive.

Meanwhile competent construction professionals survive and thrive and the chancers flip burgers until they can crawl back into the jobs market.

This subject however has nothing to do with the Calendar Thread.

It is always good practice for a competent planner to set out the programme properly and this should include work stoppage for anticipated wet weather.

The reckless decision makers can then decide what commercial spin they want to put on their tender.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Tom Howard
User offline. Last seen 8 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
All very well talking about adding weather days etc, but in the current market we are losing out at tender stage to companies who recklessly submit programmes that are clearly unachievable. Given the quality of some planners I have worked with, I would suggest it is inexperienced staff who are putting their companies at risk, rather than "strategic commercial" decisions being taken. Prudent companies are then forced to play the same silly game just to win work, and the programme periods are driven ever shorter.

If I were to start adding days for down time and inclement weather, our estimating department may as well pack up and go home now, as we would never win any work.
Marc Borburgh
I’m using some calendars for defining workable periods in fieldwork combined with breeding seasons. This way I don’t have to make sure my tasks are linked to milestones defining the start and end of a breeding season.
SHAJI MOHAMED
User offline. Last seen 14 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Sirs,

I think so, the P3 software is not designed for the time period worked per day if the planning unit is "day".I dont know whether it is taking 8hrs/day or 10 hrs/day or 24 hrs/day...... But i came to know it is taking 8hrs/day as default........P6 is ok for this issue...

Awaiting for your experienced replies...

Regards,

S.Shaji Mohamed...
Nestor Principe
User offline. Last seen 13 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Mike R,

It’s a wild guess. 2-3 days a month of the wet season are made non-working days. The contractor defined the assumption in the narrative.

Thanks Neil, it’s very reasonable.

Cheers,
Nestor
Neil Tait
User offline. Last seen 12 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Nestor,

I’d suggest that you could take account of it and reduce the EOT entitlement, but only if you could soundly demonstrate that the anticipated weather had not occured or the contractor had not had to utilise it for another non-excuseable delay (i.e. the contractor has a right to the float that he has built into his programme).

Michael Ridino
User offline. Last seen 14 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
How do you go about setting up calendars for weather days in the future? I once experimented with adding the forecast weather days ahead of time to a schedule calendar. All it did was to create a lot of questions from people looking at milestone dates.

My weather day procedure is one activity at the end of a project that gets reduced/statused as actual weather days occur. A narrative or TIA (Time Impact Analysis) explains the delay.

I guess you could add the calendar non work days after the rainy day but by then the activities are statused and the calendar does not drive them.

Mike

Nestor Principe
User offline. Last seen 13 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mike,

One interesting issue on calendar is, say a schedule uses calendar with allowance for inclement weather and holidays. However during the construction period the there were fewer inclement weather than predicted. The contractor even worked during Sundays and holidays on critical activities.

Would you allow the contractor to use the schedule to assess EOT without altering the calendar?

Cheers,
Nestor
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Mike

That’s one of the reasons we are using calendars.

I remember that due to a flood desaster some years ago some hundred of projects (repair, maintenance, revamp) had to be stopped for some weeks. I needed less than half a day to bring planning into line with this situation using calendars’ non working time.
In this case not all activities had to be interrupted.

Flexible use of calendars for me is one essential of a planning software.

Regards

Dieter