Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Increase duration when project is late?

3 replies [Last post]
Emma Lang
User offline. Last seen 2 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Is it possible in MSP for activity durations to extend when the project runs late?

I'm trying to show the Project Management activity extending when the project is delayed, and showing an increase of hours required. 

I've tried using a Finish - Finish link from the Finish milestone to the Project Management activity but the duration / hours didn't increase. 

This is to demonstrate how all disciplines can be affected when the project is late, without having to update it manually.

Thanks

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 9 hours 58 min ago. Offline

We call it Hammer's Rule - If it wont fit, hit it with a hammer until it fits.

LOL.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 28 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Emma

Decrease the work pattern hours from 8hrs per day to 7.5 hrs per day and the duration will increase.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Emma, 

It seems that you are looking for a hammock task (like an LOE activity in P6).  MSP doesn't officially have one.  The recommended workaround has been to copy|paste-link the start and finish dates from a single start-governing task and a single finish-governing task to the start/finish dates of the task that you want to turn into a hammock.  Obviously, this task shouldn't have any other logic attached to it.  The duration will automatically adjust to the linked dates, and a fixed-units task should automatically increase or decrease the work as dictated by the new duration.

Note: although this workaround is widely recommended, it's pretty flaky, difficult to audit, and seemingly more subject to corruption.  It was never a reliable long-term solution for me, and I gave up on "MSP hammocks" years ago as a result.  The main option is manual (or macro-driven) adjustment of task duration.  I've tried playing around with using two logic-driven dummy milestones to drive a dummy summary task (resource loaded), but I haven't used it enough to recommend an approach.

Good luck, tom