Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Charts - filtering & Summary

3 replies [Last post]
Andrew Owenson
User offline. Last seen 1 year 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Planners

I have a programme which covers a multiple of buildings, I have resourced the activities with the various trades. What I would like to do is - filter each building out so that I can print a resource histogram for each trade for each building and also a summary of "men" for each building and would love to be able to produce a stacked histogram for the same. I would also like to do the same for the whole project as a summary. At the moment I can only get individual resource charts for each trade for the whole project. I have not used the resource capabilities of MSP before so if you could make any replies idiot proof I would be eternally gratefull.

My thanks in advance - oh I forgot to mention - I am under a bit of pressure to do this quickly.

Regards

Andrew

Replies

Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
Say you have 3 buildings.
Just delete all of the resources for 2 of them (ctrl-D) from a blank cell) directly in the Resource Names column of the Entry Table. Then run/print the graph etc in Resource Graph View, then close the file, don’t save, re-open and do the same for the other buildings.
Or save the Resource Names column in a spare text column so you can copy/paste to and from it so you don’t have to close and re-open.
This might seem clumsy but should work.
Andrew Owenson
User offline. Last seen 1 year 16 weeks ago. Offline
Trevor

Thanks for your quick response - tried it doesnt work! the filtering obviously does, but the resources are still for the whole project and I can only view them individually not as a whole or summary no. of men. Thanks for trying though

Regards

Andrew

Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
Since you need it quick, here it is rough and not checked.
Easiest way to separate the buildings is to use a spare Text field and just fill in the field with ctrl-D (fill down) Building 1, Building 2 etc, then make a filter (Project, Filtered For etc) which reads the field.
I think that if you filter out the buildings you don’t want and then go to the Resource sheet, Resource graph etc, you should get the graphs just for the building that the filter brings back. Not sure, not checked.