Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Project Prolongation Cost - Additional Labour cost

31 replies [Last post]
Mel Gibson
User offline. Last seen 12 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello All,
Could anybody advise on project prolongation cost under fidic as far as labour cost is concerned. I will give one example below. A project which has an original duration of one year was extended by 6 monthes due to varations and delays by Client decisions. so EOT claim was approved. Now what prolongation cost can the contractor claim?
1- Direct overhead (site staff overhead)
2- Company/ main office overhead
3- Equipment and Plant hire
4- Site facilities running cost.

The Real Question:

5- Labour?? can the contractor claim any additional cost/ overhead cost for labour? there are two cases:
a- No additional work variation order was granted? (pure delay from Client). what would be the claims against labour cost in this case.
b- Additional work variation order was granted against which labour were used. what would be the claims against labour cost in this case.

I would appreciate an answer/ comments to the above

Thanks and Regards,
Mel

Replies

Mohammed Irfan Sh...
User offline. Last seen 11 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
By the earlier message i actually meant about getting the claim approved for prolonged cost.

Irfan
Mohammed Irfan Sh...
User offline. Last seen 11 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Friends,

Its nice to hear about the ways to forward our claims, but it would be nicer to hear from a person who has already done this. Is there a one?

I am about to prepare a detailed cost of accelaration or prolonged cost for one project. Any inputs will be helpful.

Regards,

Irfan
Andrew Flowerdew
User offline. Last seen 2 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Mel,

Very generally the Contractor can claim actual loss and expense due to the delay. What does this actually mean? Lets imagine there is no contract what so ever as each different contract will slightly alter what I’m about to say. The same general principle will be contained in the contract though.

If the Client delays the Contractor from completing on time the Client is in breach of contract. The Contractor can claim damages from the Client for the breach of contract.

The aim of damages in this context is to put the Contractor in the position as if the contract had been properly performed by the Client (ie if he hadn’t delayed the Contractor)Therefore the Contractor can claim any loss and expense ligitimately attributable to the breach of contract, in this case the delay - this is actually a somewhat better postion than the Client is in as his actual loss may exceed his liquidated damages amount (and often does)but he can only claim the liquidated damage amount.

Contracts will alter this position by only allowing the Cotractor to claim in the event of specific causes of delay etc, but when claiming for these, the principle holds good.
Mel Gibson
Clive,
i agree with you.. even though the delay that i am referring to is the kind of delay that drags on and on with no definite start/ stop dates.. it seems still not fair though. if the delay is due to contractor’s fault the the Client has the right to claim for liquidated damages.. but nothing opposite to that if the fault is due to the Client i.e. there is no such liquidated damages that the contractor can claim..
I was hoping through this thread to get some ideas on what could the contractor claim in terms of labour costs when EOT is due to Client fault.. at least in terms of fairness if not contractual.. i.e. in Quantum meriut or Qunatum Valet sense.. now the answer is obvious.. do not even try!
Thanks for sharing your ideas guys..
Mel Gibson
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
The problem here is very much a market one

Say you win the job and apply for the importation of labour for that project. The project is delayed however you have won another job (B), do you a transfer the labour or recruit the new labour for job B
If you knew job a was suspended for a period then its probably ok to transfer the labour
However, I doubt that was the case and because of the nature of the market you had to keep this labour on standby.
For example say you did move it to another project you face the very real risk of falling into delay on both projects and therefore paying LDs or at the very least having the lack of progress letters flying across your desk, as you work for an E&M company Mel you also have the chance that other dependent subbies will claimn against you via the main contractor.
You in my opinion may very well be between a rock and a hard place as I dont think FIDIC recognises the nature of the labour market in the middle east.
Maybe you should transfer terminate your labour and then claim the time and expense of remobilising them. I would think this would be an easier case to prove however the client would be pretty upset.
This may have to go into the pragmatic claim box.
Kinley Brown
User offline. Last seen 15 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
The purpose of loss and expense is to provide compensation for the loss suffered as a result of an Employer’s risk event.

If you were able to deploy the resources on another project then you benefited from their productivity on that other project and you suffered no loss. If the labour had additional costs such as accomodation, then surely that should be paid from the work they did on the other project when they were reassigned rather than the original project
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Mel,

If you used your formula then I would say you lost you’re case. Why?

EOT and its associated cost are based on actual case and not based on the programmed you produced.

Therefore your productivity should be based on actual number of people used at the time of delay and not what the programmed showed without the delay.

On the case that you just presented it clearly showed that you spend same amount of man hours on different number of days which means you reduced the number of people during the delay time but having same PF. This means that you cannot claim for labour hrs but prolongation costs are claimable.

Rodel
Richard Spedding
User offline. Last seen 5 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Mel

While I think your approach may have merit, that is not how the lawyers will see it.

If the additions and omissions are the same, I guess that the methods or sequences of construction have changed. This will change the value of the Works, even though the amount of work has not changed. You should first work out the value of these changes, and get the client to pay these - you are entitled to it.

These are known as method related costs.

In addition you are entitled to receive time related costs for your EoT this will be staff costs, site office costs ad head office contributions etc.

Notice that all these are called costs - you will only be able to recover what you can prove you have spent, not value, which may be a lot more.
Mel Gibson
sorry Nieman i mis-spelled your name..
please anyone feel free to modify the formula . the answer could be be original productivity rate * EOT in days i.e. 3,333 * 100 = $333,300
Mel
Mel Gibson
Hi Nemaan,
thanks, but let us say it is not a case of start/ stop/ restart case. Delays could be to reasons where Client changes his mind about certain layouts whereby additions and deletions cancel each other and he willingly grants extension of time to contractor. but as i mentioned earlier i will give one example:
Case 1:
suppose as project requires 100,000 manhours and programmed to be completed in 300 days.
Case 2:
but due to delays by Client the job still required the same 100,000 hours (assuming the Contractor managed to relocate recources among various projects) but the was completed in 400 days.

Assume 100 days EOT were granted.
Assume labour cost (icnlusive of accommodations and benefits) is $10 per hour.

so
in Case 1 productivity rate would be 100,000 hrs * $10/300 days = $3,333 per day.
in Case 2 productivity rate would be 100,000 hrs * $10/400 days = $2,500 per day.

so Mel Gibson formula says: The additional labour cost claim for EOT is the above case =

[productivity rate 1- productivity rate 2]* EOT in days
= [$3,333 - $2,500] * 100 = $83,300

Does that make sense?

Regards
Mel
Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 10 years 1 week ago. Offline
Hi Mel,

OK, even if the EOT is approved due to the "client fault" and that no variation is related to the EOT, u can still claim for additional cost occurred due to the redistribution of manpower.

Regards,
Karim
Richard Spedding
User offline. Last seen 5 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Mel

For a short term delay, where it is not possible to re-deploy labour to other sites or dismiss them and take on new labour closer to the date of re-start, then the whole running costs of labour should be reclaimable, including staff costs.
For a long term delay you should have sought to minimise the costs to the client. (Lay off or redeploy labour, redeploy staff etc)
Really you should be discussing with the client on a daily basis when the re-start will be, and advise him of the alternatives. If you are talking historically then in UK the courts will decide what is fair and reasonable. In UAE I believe there may be other principles involved, whatever the contract says.
Mel Gibson
Karim thanks, but the issue we are discussing is "labor costs during EOT in case no variations were awarded and the delay is due to Client fault" i thought u meant we could claim "running cost" of labor which would be nice.
regards,
Mel
Karim Mounir
Mel,

What i meant by the running cost is:

- For Staff (direct/indirect):
Housing cost (rental fees, maintenance, electricity, etc...)
Transportation cost (daily transportation/person, car leasing fees, etc...)

- For Equipment:
Offices cost (depreciation, maintenance, subscription for phone line, etc...)
Computers cost (depreciation, etc...)

So u should add the running cost of the staff which were working in the period of the claim in addition to the running cost of the equipment.

Regards,
Karim
Rodel Marasigan
Hi Mel,

Kinley is correct unless you can proved idle time or down time then you have a case and it’s acceptable. That is part of prolongation cost which is similarly on what I did previously.

I have a hard evidence acknowledge due to client delays, our company still paying workers salary while they are on site.

A good example is due to access and restricted areas causing a down time and loss of productivity. If you can prove the loss of productivity by comparing the actual productivity factor during normal days with out delays or access problem against new actual productivity factor having delayed and access problem then that would be acceptable. This is the importance of where your periodic history records are been keep and submitted during the week ending/ month ending period reports which is acknowledge by the clients.

But again it’s a no guarantee situation.

Regards,
Rodel
Kinley Brown
Mel

Loss and expense claims under the standard form contracts usually only relate to actual expenditure and reimbursement.

Claims for loss of opportunity to earn profit are very rarely awarded. You would need very persuasive evidence to have any hope of succeeding with this type of claim.

KB
Mel Gibson
Rodel,
let us say we acknowldge that the rates of labour include overhead, but it seems to me that the cost of labour idling time during the contract period is much less expensive than the cost of spending labour during the extension period. the cost of time during the extension period (specially if no variation for extra work was applicable) includes loss of opportunities.. somehow i am trying to uncover and recover this hidden cost..
regards,
Mel
Mel Gibson
Karim, could you please explain more about the "running cost". Can the contractor add the labor cost used(rate inclusive of overhead multiplied by manhours) during the extension of time period as running cost in addition to other overhead costs?
Mel
Mel Gibson
Clive, Putting a proportion of the labor costs into overheads is fine but the client would say that the overhead is already built into the unit rates of the variation items which somehow contributed to the extension of time.. Even though that would be true, but yet it is not fair.. The amount that can be proven is not commercially viable.. i mean with a number of labor tied-up with a slow moving and less profitable extra works a contractor could have used the same labor in much more useful and profitable work in a very fast moving construction market like Dubai..
so in conclusion what u r saying there is no formula to use in this case.. in other words the contactor has to uncover and prove hidden cost the hard way.
To illustrate the problem i will give concrete example shortly.
Mel
Karim Mounir
yes, u can claim for the "Running Cost" for direct/indirect manpower & equipment.
Kinley Brown
In theory you can claim for the non-productive time of the labour.

For example, if as a result of the delay an item of labour stood idle for 2 days, making no progress, and was unable to be assigned elsewhere, then the contractor would be entitled to additional cost of the labour for 2 days. The cost means the actual cost, this would includes the indirect costs of the labour, including accomodation if relevant.

Rodel Marasigan
Hi Mel,

I was not to sure about your case. I have some explanation on Prolongation Claims at other thread based on my experience and according to your statement, you already claimed the prolongation items which are more derive from preliminaries.

In regards to labour cost, most of the cases you find on RATES say “all inclusive” especially on Lump Sum with quantities contract. Maybe you need to check and that may answer you queries. That is the same approached in Variations. If you can prove that the rates used are excluding all the expenses that you company paid to the workers then you may have a case but for me it’s a very difficult case.

Regards,
Rodel
Clive Randall
I wonder if you couldnt for example put a proportion of the costs into your overheads
ie labour camp, airfares, visas etc
I dont know what you do about the labour the client will probably say you could have put them on another job
Can you prove you did not do that?
Mel Gibson
Hi Clive, unfortunately no words about that in the contract. specially when it comes to extension of time. most contracts talk about how to evaluate variations i.e. based on boq rates etc.. normally contractors worry about getting the job first.. in other words the policy overhere is "shoot then aim".
Mel
Clive Randall
Interesting point Mel
as the UAE has expatriate labour that must be housed by law and paid under the labour contract

any words on this in your contract?
Mel Gibson
Kinley,
let’s say the delay by the client has caused the contractor to request an extension of time i.e. the project started with 12 months duration and ended up in 18 months duration. now the Client has approved the 6 month extension of time.. so the contractor claimed additional direct project overhead, main office overhead, equipment additional hire charges and site facilities running costs.. Can the contractor Claim extra for the labour costs which he spent during the additional six month extension period? (even though the original labour charges were built into the rates of the original items of the contract?). after all the contractor had to pay exta cost for six month labour accommodation plus idling time. i noticed most discussions about EOT claims do not mention whether labour costs during the extension period are to be considered extra to the original contract.
thanks and regards,
Mel
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Mel,

I agree with kinley.

A word of advice "be sure to develop an excel worksheet that will make it easy for you to track your claims"

If you got bog down with this exercise, you know how to contact me.

Cheers,

Charlie
Kinley Brown
Mel

If the delay caused reduced productivity then C could make a claim for the additional labour cost resulting from the disruption. For example if the delay caused an activity to take 4 days instead of 2, then the labour cost for the additional days could be claimed.

In the case of a variation, the additional direct labour costs of carrying out the varied work can be claimed.

KB
Charleston-Joseph...
Hello Mel,

The question is now clear.

Your statement "due to delay by the client" is true. I will assume it is proven.

You can claim more than additional labour cost, my hunch even though I don’t know the detail yet. This is so because of my experience.

In the event you have not yet hired an expensive claim analyst, you know where to contact me. My fee will be less because I will give you a discount compared to the prevailing market.

Cheers,

Charlie

Mel Gibson
Hi Charlie,
let us say not prolongation cost under fidic(name it whatever u like in an area where fidic is the norm), let me put the question in different way:
Can we claim for additional labour cost when extension of time is granted due to delay by the Client..
Regards,
Mel
Charleston-Joseph...
Hi Mel,

project prolongation cost under fidic

Is this correct. I think prolongation cost only got precedence in th UK.

Other parts of the whole, maybe not.

Cheers,

Charlie