Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 locks up or is very slow when loading schedule

12 replies [Last post]
Chris McMillan
User offline. Last seen 13 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello fellow planners,

I have a BIG issue. I have been running P6.2 standalone for two years with SQL. Yesterday, I could not open P6 at all. I reloaded SQL, I reloaded P6, and I verified my database configuration. Now, I can open P6 but my small schedules take very long (5 minutes) and my large schedules 4000+ tasks don’t load at all. P6 just sits there acting like its loading but does nothing. I received an error message yesterday about "shared memory". has anyone encountered this problem before? Any solutions?

Thanks!

Replies

Leo Nicholson
User offline. Last seen 8 years 16 weeks ago. Offline

An old thread, but I use p6.1 and am  plagued with slow loading.  I am running on Windows 7 Pro 32 bit.  The program runs correctly, but takes a long, long time to load up.  The link to the instructions about this in the thread no longer works.

Also, is there any source for 6.1 service packs?  I can find reference to download links, but they are all dead also.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Aftab C Mohd
User offline. Last seen 7 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

Hi all,

The problem I had with slow rate of loading up projects was resolved with "Fullcan" and gather stats as suggested by Keyel. 

Brought down the loading time considerably low. 

Thanks guys

Aftab. 

Simon Toner
User offline. Last seen 6 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

I realize that this is years after this string was started; but I have used the fix suggested by Keyel and it has solved my problem.  My loading time has gone down from 15-20 mins to about 5-10 seconds.

Thanks

Keyel Isorena
User offline. Last seen 2 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

I manage to try this in one of our PC and this http://primaveratools.com/Portals/PrimaveraTools/activeforums_Attach/001_slow_performance_P6.pdf works perfectly. Just use the windows authentication instead of the sql server authentication since our P6 is on a stand alone version. hope this helps.

Cheers,

Keyel

Keyel Isorena

Chris, Have you tried this http://primaveratools.com/Portals/PrimaveraTools/activeforums_Attach/001_slow_performance_P6.pdf? I cant try it since it needs an "SA" account and I have to ask our IT to do it for me. If you can try this and it helps, please provide feedback so we can suggest that this is a solution. BTW, in the forum where I found it, it says that it has to be redone every time the system slows down on loading again.

Regards,

Keyel

Keyel Isorena

Rodel, I am having the same problem as with Chris. I have checked the Primavera background agent and verified that it is running and that it starts automatically. Question is, is there a way to verify that the Symon and Damon are actually running, or better yet can we make it run everyday instead of weekly?

Keyel

Keyel Isorena

Chis, I think I have the same problem as you have. We are running on a stand alone version of P6 6.1 on a 2.66 Ghz intel quad core with 4 GB of RAM running windows 7 32 bit. Our project having 9000+ activities loads but it takes about 20 minutes to load. Have you found a solution yet?

Keyel

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Chris,
Yes it can, refer to your Primavera Admin Guide. I believed Damon run every Saturday by default.
Chris McMillan
Is there a way to manually run the system monitor and data monitor? My background agent is running but I think my memory is full.
Rodel Marasigan
Chris,
It might be and your memory is not enough. It will not compact immediately. Cleaning will be done weekly so I’m not sure when the last run was. Observe for one week if still the same otherwise consult your IT to change the settings to daily and once it run smoothly change it back to weekly.

Note: Background agent is running I think because you said you just reinstall SQL again which just update the driver and run which means does not clean up the system.

Chris, another suggestion is creates another database and run using another database. You might find that new database is running fine. You can access any of these databases anytime.
Chris McMillan
Rodel,

Thank you for your response. My Background agent is running. However, I restarted it and the problem remains. Could my database just be too big?
Rodel Marasigan
Chris,
Check if Primavera Background Agent is running. (Select Start-> Settings-> Control Panel-> Administrative Tools-> Services. Look for Primavera Background Agent and double click. Click start if the status is not started. Also set Start up Type to Automatic.) The use of this service is to run SYMON (System Monitor)run daily and DAMON run weekly(Data Monitor). These two programs running in the background to clean up system and data (i.e. log files, caches, deleted files and recorded action for undo’s) If Background Agent is not running then PC will slow down and memory will be full.

Hope this help.