Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Confusion in Must Finish by date in P6

7 replies [Last post]
Haresh Jayanth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Rodel,

When i keep Must Finish by date of my project by 24th July 2011 time 7:00pm , Primavera is showing my completion date of my project as 25th July 2011 with Zero total float?? How is it possible....

I have used a Level of effort activity called Project Duration. Project duration activity" is linked to start-start with "first activity of the Project i.e. Project start date and finish to finish with last activity of the project i.e. Project Finish date....it is showing the entire Project Duration..Now this level of effort activity is showing completion as 25th July 2010 10:00 am....

And also if i change my Must finish date time to 24th July 2011 , 1:00 pm , then Primavera now shows project finish date as 24th July 2011....

So kindly explain me why primavera takes project completion as 25th July 2011 , when i set my Must finish by date as 24th July 2011 , 7:00 pm.

regards,

Haresh

Replies

Chris Feagan
User offline. Last seen 10 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Our team has run into an issue with negative float being calculated to a Level of Effort task.  Background: We work in a very large Integrated Master Schedule (IMS) that encompasses in excess of 30 individual projects.  These projects have multiple tasks that are logically linked from one project to another.

The current issue: I have a LOE that only has a SS relationship to a task within that project (with 0 Days Total Float) and a FF relationship to another task within that project (with 232 Days Total Float).  The problem is that the LOE indicates -620 Days Total Float.  There are no constraints (Start On or After, Finish On or After, etc.) assigned.  I must be missing something?

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Haresh,
I understand that Sunday is working day in Middle East but your Global default calendar has Sunday working too?

You need to advise your consultant to change the Global default calendar and hours per time period to match the activity calendar. That will give them the correct duration value.
Haresh Jayanth
Dear Rodel,

We have sunday as working days in Middleeast that is not a problem.....

I am facing a big problem in this program, whenever i give a program to the Consultant with Must Finish date of 24th July 2011 , but when consultant is scheduling my program he is getting a 7 days delay...i.e. showing completion date as 31st July 2011....Why i check & schedule my program and then i given to the consultant for review...

But why does the same program when opened on his system is showing a different finish dates with delay......

regards,

Haresh Jayanth
Rodel Marasigan
Haresh,
24 July 2011 is Sunday therefore it will shift to either following day or before depends on your calendar working day. If the finished is on summary band then change the Global Default calendar to match activity calendar. Also change Hours time period to match working hours. That is always the source of problem when Global default is not matching activity calendar and working hours is not matching Hour per time period.
Balaji Surendiran
User offline. Last seen 13 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
This happens to me as well sometimes...what i do is assigning lag -1(FF Activity of LOE), though its not the right way to do.
Haresh Jayanth
Dear Rodel,

My problem is that the must finish date is fixed as 24th July 2011 7:00 pm, but whereas Project Handing date is showing as 25th July 2011 10:00 am with Zero total float.

I can understand, the program logic if my project handing over date shows 25th July 2011, with one day negative float. But in my program it shows Zero float eventhough my must finish date is fixed as 24th Juy 2011. Can u explain this ....if u are not able to get it i can send my program for ur review....

regards,

Haresh
Rodel Marasigan
Haresh,
Must Finish date is not constraining Activity. It is used to calculate the schedule on "Backward pass" to show the float whether negative or positive. If Must finish date is less than current project finish date then some critical activities will be showing negative float but if current project finish date is less than must finish date then it will show all positive float.