Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Average Float figure for the project

5 replies [Last post]
Kevin Matthews
User offline. Last seen 14 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
G’day,

We need the average activity float for the project as we can then track this figure on a weekly basis and show slippage etc..

I have had a quick look for any report that gives me this figure but couldn’t see anything.

I am probably going to export the activities and float for each activity to an excel spreadsheet and then work it out from there (I’m assuming I can do this?)

Is there a quicker and easeir way using P5 ?

Keep Planning (and Happy Christmas)

Kevin.

Replies

Kevin Matthews
Thanks David, I’ll try your method.

Keep Planning,

Kevin.
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 2 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Once upon a time, back in the days of manual forward/backward pass when ships were built on the River Clyde, the "Float Trend" chart was a big document.

We kept track of the change of float each week on some activities. All activities would have been nice, but computers were precious commodities in those days and not freely avaialble for imagineering.

If you copied the Total and or Free float to a user defined field after each progress run you have a value for float that rolls up, an indication of each activity’s change AND "Group and Sort" would also give you interesting sub-totals
Kevin Matthews
All,

Average float to me means adding up the total float for all activties and then dividing by the no. of activities. This is then calculated on a weekly basis and inthe weekly project report this number is used as one of many indicators on the project progress. As the average float number decreases this would show the project is becoming more critical (the norm!) ; if the average float figure increases (never seen this!) this will show that progress is good and probably ahead of schedule.

Keep Planning,

Kevin.
Wai Chan
User offline. Last seen 13 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
I am a new member and just trying to help, maybe this is not the right answer. But I would suggest doing a filter with a range of the float that you want. you probably have to figure out the average float yourself.
Johny Kesserwany
User offline. Last seen 7 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
what do you mean by ’average activity float’?

JK