Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importing steps in P5

3 replies [Last post]
Nicolas Berger
User offline. Last seen 11 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hi to all,

I have a bunch of Steps to assigned to many activities already prepared on an Excel spreadsheet.

I looked at the existing threads talking about that and I can’t figure what is DSK or ODBC ?

If you can help me out that would be great ;-)

Thanks by advance

Replies

Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 10 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Nicolas,

Put P5 CD in the drive.
To install SDK you have to go to control panel -> Add or Remove programs -> Primavera 5.0 and then click on Change/Remove.
After that a window appears, click on "Modify" then next, another window appears, in the Other Component select "Software Development Kit" and then click next and start the install.
Now you installed the SDK, you can link the database of the P5 with external sources like MS Excel using the micros avaliable with P5 CD.

and btw Point is a service avaliable from Primavera (like a tech support).

HTH.

Karim
Nicolas Berger
User offline. Last seen 11 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks for the answer Mark.

I may be appearing as a dumb but what do you mean by that : "If you have point then look up this answer: prim28371" ?

What I need basically is to install SDK and then ?

When you say "There is an excel macro that allows you to import and export data to and from P5. This can be quite useful." It is part of SDK or a separate Macro ?

I’m sorry to ask you this but it’s not really clear
Mark Chapman
User offline. Last seen 8 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
If you have point then look up this answer: prim28371

DSK should read SDK. Here’s abit from this answer:

The SDK enables you to integrate the data in the Project Management database with external databases and applications. It provides access to the schema and stored procedures that include business logic. The SDK is not a program but allows you to access Project Management information through an interface such as ODBC or JDBC. The SDK installs a driver (Primavera Software Development Kit) similar to ODBC that can be used to access the Project Management information.

To install the SDK: Select Primavera Software Development Kit during installation. See Solution ID: prim28372 for more information.

Note: You will need Administrator rights to your computer when you install the SDK. The installation writes to the registry and requires admin rights.

There is an excel macro that allows you to import and export data to and from P5. This can be quite useful.