Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Constraints...

3 replies [Last post]
Andrew Musulin
User offline. Last seen 16 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I currently have a running schedule with no constraints added in for the project complete milestone...I have since progressed the schedule and the expected completion date has pushed out by 2 months or so. I wish to see the amount of negative float I have, so I added a constraint to the original contract completion date to see the negative float but it does not anchor and it continues to get pushed out to the new revised completion date.

What am I missing?

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Andrew

I know just two reasons for an activity with a mandatory finish to be shifted:
- The data date is later than the constraint.
- The assigned calendar doesn’t allow working time on this date.
Retained logic or progress override has no influence in this case.

Regards
Dieter
Andrew Musulin
User offline. Last seen 16 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I was aware of the function of Mandatory Finish and Finish On constraints, but for some reason the program continues to push out to the new Finish date for Mandatory Finish and doesnt show any negative float what so ever if I put a ’Finish On’ constraint on.

Could it have something to do with what is linked to the Milestone??

I have changed the ’Scheduling’ option from Retain Logic to Progress Overide, but that doesnt seem to change anything either!

Really confused!
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Andrew

There is a difference between "Finish" and "Mandatory Finish". Mandatory Finish will remain at the date you set with float=0 independent from the project’s development. "Finish" will move as you explained but show a negative float. Analogue for "start".
Have a look into the protocol of scheduling: Close to the end you can see the broken relationships and constraints.

Regards
Dieter