Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Job Services

6 replies [Last post]
Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 10 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello,

I’ve several schedules which i want to export at once, so i tried the "Job Services" feature and put some jobs in the job queue.
But when the "run job" time comes nothing exported although i’ve selected the status of each job to be "Enabled" rather than the default "Disabled" selection.

Any ideas on that or other ideas to export some schedules at once (without exporting the whole database) ??

Regards,
Karim

Replies

Karim Mounir
Hi Alex,

1- Yes, it tested the connection to the database and it was successful.

2- After installing the "Job services" module for the first time there were no jobs in the database that i choose, I reinstalled "Job services" again and this time there was a "recurring job" in the database (i kept a previous job for testing) and it didn’t work.

3- No, this isn’t a standalone installation of P5, we are using SQL server for dealing with P5.

Thanks,
Karim.

Alex Gibson
User offline. Last seen 17 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Karim,

At the end of the installation did it ask you to Test the connection?

If you already had a few jobs lined up then this should have come back saying the number of jobs pending.

If it came back as 0 pending jobs then it might be worth checking if it is configured to the same database as Project Management is lookin at.

Is this a StandAlone installion of P5?

Regards
Alex
PCS Pty Ltd
Karim Mounir
Hi Alex,

I installed the "Job Services" module, it wasn’t installed earlier.

However when i tried to automate an export process it didn’t run!.

Maybe this is due to some access rights?, anyway thanks a lot.

Regards,
Karim
Alex Gibson
User offline. Last seen 17 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Karim,

It sounds like Job Services may not be installed on your workstation. The default installation does not include Job Services.

You can check this by looking at the current Servies. Go to Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services. It should be listed a Primavera Job Service (JSDB). If this exists please make sure it is started and set to automatic.

If it is not there then you will need to install it from the Primavera CD1, when you put the CD in, choose to Install Client Applications, it will then detect that P5 is already installed and ask you if you want to Remove, Repair or Modify.

Please choose the Modify option. The next screen should have all of the Client Applictions checked (please do not uncheck or it will uninstall the client application), the list should contain Primavera Job Services, just check this option (not Distributed Job Services) and continue the installation.

It should ask you for the database and server name as part of the process so it knows what database will be sending it Jobs. This should all be documented in the Primavera Admin guide with easy to follow screenshots.

Please let me know how this goes.

Regards
Alex
PCS Pty Ltd
Karim Mounir
Thanks Jim, it works however i still don’t know why the job services is not working.

The problem with the "manual" export method is that it exports all of the exported schedules as 1 schedule only, but that’s will do for now.

Thanks,
Karim
Jim Fairchild
User offline. Last seen 11 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Karim,

You may not have Job Services running. However I guess that this is only a side issue here. It appears that your problem is that you want to be able to export several projects at one time.

The simplest solution is to open the projects that you want to export and choose File/Export from the main menu. This allows you to export all of the selected projects to a single xer file.