Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Bi-directional transfer P3/Suretrak to P3e/Contractor

2 replies [Last post]
Adrian Kilshaw
User offline. Last seen 4 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
As a long time user of Primavera Software (& MSP Unfotrunately) I am faced with a current question which I am unable to answer due to lack of access to the software tools above, Does Contractor & P3e easily transfer back to P3/Suretrak?
I am well aware that MSP, P3 & Suretrak goes into P3e/Contractor as I have carried out this excercise myself.
This has arisen as my Sub-contractors use P3 & Suretrak and I am needing to know what I should purchase for the future when migration happens within 18 months (Stuck with MSP in the meantime, doh!)

Thanks.

Replies

Arthur Godbeer
User offline. Last seen 15 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
As Alex says, there is a bi-directional import. And it could be used (without needing anything else), if used with caution. But I don’t recommend it for ongoing use on the same project. Because in the end they are different software, with different underlying architecture and engines.

As soon as you add any of the "more" that is in Primavera 5.0 (such as more than 24 activity codes, more than ten project codes, or any resource codes), P3 won’t be able to read that. And if you use more than P3’s permitted length of activity id (10 characters, whereas 5.0 has potentially double that) then you wouldn’t be able to transfer data at all, because that’s the key database field.
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Adrian

The quick answer is NO.

you can transfter data between the two stream of software, "BUT" because of their data structure you can not easily transfer back and forth without some sort of integration tool. ie SDK

In you situation of being subby is using P3 and if you are using P3e then its ok because you only need one direction of dataflow P3 to P3e. Therefore if you are using P3e is ok.

HTH

Alex