Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

copy ing the Project database??

6 replies [Last post]
Mirza Imam Baig
User offline. Last seen 6 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Gentlemen,

can anyone guide me how to copy the complet Project database from computer to another for P3e/c 5.0

Thanks for your responses.

Imam Baig

Replies

Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 10 years 1 week ago. Offline
for backing up your database in P5 (SQL), u logon to the SQL server and then to "Programs"-->"Microsoft SQL Server"-->"Enterprise Manager" then u choose "Databases" and then right click on your databse and "All Tasks"-->"Backup database" and then select where u want to put the file.
Bill McMichael
User offline. Last seen 12 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Please see my previous post. Refer to Solution ID: prim27893 and there are two solutions posted there.

Or if you Google "Backup MSDE", there are others. Key point is you cannot simply copy files for SQL Server / MSDE database to properly back it up.
Mirza Imam Baig
User offline. Last seen 6 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
It’s P5 and it’s a local database... please advise
Bill McMichael
User offline. Last seen 12 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
MSDE database file is in-use by the database server at all times. This means a file based backup utility will not backup the database correctly. You must use a tool specifically made to backup SQL Server/MSDE database.

The following soltuons are provided in the Primavera Knowledge base -- Solution ID: prim27893.

1. Use OSQL, which is an MSDE command line utility.
2. Use MSDE backup utility created for Contractor that will also work for Primavera 5.0. This can be downloaded from Primavera’s knowledge base.
JK Morris
User offline. Last seen 7 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Well this isn’t my question, but I would like to know how to copy a MSDE database that resides on my laptop for backup purposes.

It contains a few layers of EPS nodes and several projects so exporting would be very tedious.

Thanks,
John
Marcio Sampaio
User offline. Last seen 11 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Are u using P3e or P5??

Is it a local database or a SQL/Oracle??

But if u want to transfer data base of only one Project, just export it.

Regards.