Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera, how longer shall we wait for the "UNDO"

28 replies [Last post]
Jihad Daniel
User offline. Last seen 8 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can anyone tell me why Primavera did not create the UNDO button on all their softwares, at least to the last save or last schedule’s running? How long shall we wait before undoing an error?

Regards,
J. Daniel

Replies

Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Gordon
Its a puzzle if you have multiple users who knows whats happening
whats been changed etc etc
Oscar
Gordon Blair
User offline. Last seen 6 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Probably the only way you could reliably undo post schedule, would be to open the entire programme exclusively.
Otherwise how would you know from looking at the few projects you have open what the last undo key press did to a project on the other side of the world (that you don’t have access to, but has to be undone because that work was delayed due to - erroneous - changes in your project). Then you have to notify every user who has been logged in to the software, and the executive software, the reporting suites etc etc. to advise them of the changes.
While this may be feasible in a local office environment, in a global enterprise (which the software was ostensibly designed for) it becomes more trouble than it’s worth.
David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
But not undo after a reschedule?

So it is only an error correction tool rather than one that allows ’what-ifs’ and hypothese to be tested?
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hi guys,

For all you guys that neve learned to use the escape button when you made the mistakes, Primavera project manager V5 has the undo button, which you have always longed for
Oscar Wilde
David
I agree
The what if scenario is really usefull
Copy and paste means you have to remmeber exactly what you have done
I always press F9 after every action on a complex programme to ensure i have no loops if i could do this without saving ie a what if i would be happy as F9 takes ages with a lot of activities.
Multiple users im sure it exists but is it the norm is there no planning administrator if not who controls????
Oscar
David Bordoli
Erm...

MM PowerProject also has automatic loop detection when loop dependecies are attempted... a warning even before the link is made, let alone before the network is rescheduled.
David Bordoli
As Clive said, real planners don’t make mistakes… and extraordinary planners don’t even make errors.

But what we all like to do it test hypothesis and do ‘what-if’ exercises. We don’t want to have to keep resaving/copying the programme for each iteration, sometimes we just want a quick and dirty way of testing a few ideas.
Mario Sanvitale
User offline. Last seen 12 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
As a complete aside, what is it that planners need to undo? Masses of mistakes none of which are recognised until scheduled? A single mistake that might be included with many other correct entries? How long after making the entry should undo be available? Would the expectation be that all other users of the system that have made any entry to the DB be told about the undo, because it may have affected their work even if not apparently connected? Primavera does now have a limited undo feature, so I guess it’s slightly irrelevant, but I’ve never been able to understand what the errors are that cause such an issue with experienced planners.
David Bordoli
I sort of agree with the problem that UNDO might cause with concurrent users but Primaver is not the only software that allows concurrent access to the database.

The solution just takes a bit of thinking about, ‘booking out’ sections of the programme for instance. There is unlikely to be an ideal solution but using the ‘concurrent users’ problem as a reason for not having UNDO is unsustainable.

In reality, how frequent to do think concurrent development or manipulation of a network is likely to be?
Gordon Blair
What I believe everyone is looking for is a ’Rollback’ feature (a la ORACLE) where a database can be rolled back to a certain point, and picked up again.
While you can’t do this live on P3e yet, and depending on how they feel about the Dev work, you may never be able to; you can manually set up rollback points.... very regular backups.
Then, it’s just a case of apologising to all of the other users who’s work since the last backup has gone
Gordon Blair
If it were a standalone installation, that could be applicable, but consider the following:...
User A and User B are both working on the Project.
User A, driven to distraction by the mitherings of his PM, makes a mistake.. without realising that he’s erred, he schedules the Plan
User B opens the rescheduled Plan, and starts working on it, responding to the new dates in this now inaccurate Plan..
User A, having had a nice cup of tea, realises he’s mucked up, hits the undo key....
Cue much hilarity as the database takes away User A’s changes, leaving User B’s panicked amendements in place.
The problem with live relational databases is the multiple users, as they have a habit of complicating and compounding each other’s mistakes.
David Bordoli
I don’t quite understand all this about “writing an undo feature for large databases is not an easy feat”, “the undo concept is a rare animal in the database world” and “in order have this function works, more or less you need duplicate your current working dataset at backend”.

PowerProject, the software that most Primavera users deride as ‘Mickey Mouse’, has had a full UNDO feature for ages, including undo through save. Makes me wonder if Clive’s theory is closer to the truth than we imagine?

I know nothing about how software is written but find it difficult to imagine that duplicate datasets are required. I thought it would be merely a matter of recording the keystrokes and that UNDO merely applies the inverse?

Regards

David
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Im out of my depth
But is the problem that P3 works on a continual save principle if you took that away and for example only saved on F9 would that help or is that not possible

Kind regards
Clive Randall
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 4 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
I agree. UNDO is rara in database system. In order have this function works, more or less you need dulpicate your current working dataset at backend.
The UNDO function on P5.0 is not a "full" Undo function. Undo the editing is allow, Undo a scheduling/level is not provided.
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Hi

I think the undo concept is a rare animal in the database world. Due to data sharing and voliation.

HTH

Alex
Oscar Wilde
for what they charge per unit that is a very bad approach
Travis Bruehl
User offline. Last seen 18 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Not only that - but writing an undo feature for large databases is not an easy feat. I think Primavera decided to put development time into other endevours - considering the size of their company.
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
The trouble is this

when primavera was first written planners never made mistakes cos they were real planners who were used to using pencils and tape and only ever had 20 bars on their programmes

then other software was developed that was used by less capable people who in turn migrated to P3 with their mistakes

and lo

Primavera could still not believe people could make mistakes and steadfastly continued to believe that planners were as they always had been PERFECT.

However

one day a little while ago a software designer at primavera did make a mistake he thought he was in the resource column and filled the cell whiping out 2500 descriptions worse still the computer immeadiatly saved his error not mistake cos primavera planners dont make those so in an effort to correct this he went into the software language and tied up the Windows loose ends and lo
UNDO WAS BORN

I for one as an original _P3 planner will never admit to needing the undo function as i have come to terms with my frustration at loosing my data and have reached a higher level of KAMA when i programme AND NEVER MAKE MISTAKES.
Bill McMichael
User offline. Last seen 12 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Undo is actually under the Edit Menu as you would expect. The menu item name is Undo. Very easy to use and works like Undo features you’ve used before in many applications. Can also use Ctrl + Z.

Regards,
Bill
Wilmore Makonese
User offline. Last seen 18 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Yes, the undo is finally here. I started using ver 5.0 yesterday and a collegue showed me the icon this morning. It’s under tools ...... Not sure what the word is but not Undo. I have not used it yet.
Andrew Godfrey
User offline. Last seen 9 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
version 5 is now being shipped and includes Undo
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Alex, are you sure? in version 5.0, this UNDO feature is available?.
MK TSE
More info on version 5.0 launching, Bill’s post stated it will be in July. http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?fid=1&Cat=8&Top=11483.
MK TSE
Not sure what’s happen to Primavera, PEC 5.0 launching is in delay.
Sunil Kumar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All,

I actually saw the UNDO option being Presented by Primevera Inc here in Dubai. I have no idea if they have officially released the new version...

Cheers

Sunil
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Gents

Version 5

It will be out very soon (I been told August this year)

Alex
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
I’ve moved this thread to a more appropriate forum.

Bernard Ertl
eTaskMaker Project Planning Software
Why do you ask it here?
Repeat your question on P3e/c forum.
Best Regards,
Vladimir