Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3e - Resources and Durations

3 replies [Last post]
Dave McGinnis
User offline. Last seen 12 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello all, New Guy here...

Is there a way to try a 2-shift option without changing each activity’s resource units to 200%?

I want to see how adding a night shift affects the schedule on some earthworks activities. I have assigned 1 scraper fleet (max units available 200%) to each of these activities. Unless I change the remaining units/time to 200% manually, the durations don’t change. Can I do this any easier? I have seen the "Shift Calendar" within the resource screen, but am unclear how this is used, or if this is the direction I should head.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave

Replies

Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 hours ago. Offline
Roberto Jr Bustos
User offline. Last seen 24 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
For me, im not changing the availability to 200%. because it is for the max limit of a resource that you can use at the same time.

if you want to have it 2 shifts, maybe it would be better if you check first if your planning unit is in "hours", then go to the calendar and change it to 2 shifts by specifying the time of work in the hours area. you just have to make a 2-8hrs shift. it depends on your no. of hours per shift.

so regardless of your max. availability, your resource will now be forecasted or distributed in 2 shift calendar format.

your duration however will still be depending on the units per time, because if your upt is within the limits per time period, then duration will not change, if it exceeds, then it should change.

and also check your driving resource to make your duration depend on your upt.

i dont know how others do this but this is how i do it. maybe there is still other way to do it easier and faster.
hope you find this helpfull, good day!!!

Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 hours ago. Offline
use "what if" project facility....