Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Whats going to happen to P3.1

41 replies [Last post]
Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have loads of versions of P3 v3.1 about 40 at the moment

I read here that when MS changes the operating system I wont be able to use my p3 v3.1

Is that really the case am i going to throw us$180000 in the bin what about all my old files help

Replies

Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Hi Gents,

Agree, technology moves faster than ever before and it will go every faster as high tech equipment is easier and cheaper to obtain. A Play Station 3 graphic processor can be use to program a launch a spaceship & its only cost $300, I can store an entire insurance company clients database in a iPod mini.

So we planner should plan for our future too. The question is HOW do we(planners) have the added value activity in a "Project Plan".

Move with the technology and make our life easier.

The favor word of the day is "Integration"

P3 3.1 have some integration ability
Primavera 5 have more power to integrate
In future who knows...

In terms of OS platform, this is not my worry... Some businessman will ensure the continuouity of their business, and sells keep on coming - from us (the customers)

Cheers

Alex
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hi guys,

Jorge is quite correct, however, there is great potential for the operating system changing in the next few years (3), and unless you are prepared to run a dedicated computor, you are out in the cold. On my current project it is getting to the point where you have to run a dedicated planning server. In fact it has become so complex, you need several dedicated servers, like for instance document control, etc.

Where were the days, when the planner used to administrate the server/system under Novell (dos), with a 510 Mb hard drive, that was in 1994.

Regards

Philip
Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Sigfredo!

Of course I remember you. It’s actually nice seeing a lot of postings from you, pare ko.

Regarding your question, no one knows what’s going to happen 10 years from now. Microsoft and Primavera may cease to exist. I’d be 50 years old by then... and if things go right, I might not even be concerned about what software is in the market because I would have built good businesses that will provide me with passive cashflow.

Software come and go. I’ve actually mastered P3, too, and i sure don’t relish having to learn PE because it’s so different with what I was comfortable with. I guess at the back of my mind, I was concerned because "You can’t teach old dogs new tricks..."

As someone in this forum said, it’s just CHANGE. We have to deal with it. Our options may be:
1. Maintain P3 3.1 by having a dedicated computer.
2. Switch to PE or to another software altogether.

I’ll send your regards to Abby, bro.

God bless you always.

Best regards,

Jorge
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 3 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Jorge,

Nice to hear from you on this site. I hope you still remember me.

I’ve asked this earlier in this thread. Maybe you have a better answer for this question.

"Does it mean everytime Microsoft develop and release a new Operating System in lieu of the current one and this OS is not compatible with the current Primavera version, Primavera has to change it’s platform as well?"

What I mean by changing platform is like what happened to P3 3.1 and P3e. From Btrieve 16 bit to Oracle etc. 32/64 bit. What will happen to P3 5.0 if, in ten years time Microsoft will release a new OS which is not compatible with P3 5.0?

I know this is only hyphothetical question now but I believe this is worth looking at by planners. 10 years ago, no one predicted what will happen with P3 1.1 when we were using it in splendido.

Thanks and best regards,

Se

P.S. regards also to abby.
Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Guys,

I, too, was very concerned about the demise of 3.1. I’ve been very comfortable with 3.1 and I resisted using P5. Now I’m using P5 and sometimes I wonder if I should have just kept myself to 3.1. There’s a lot of relearning to do. And you can’t display all of the info you’ve put into P5 on either the columns or bar chart area -- such as notes (logs in 3.1).

And there’s no labeling function. Like suppose I put in some notes on an activity, I wouldn’t know which activity would have notes unless I devised a report (which is not very easy) or turned on the activity table to review each and every activity.

Oh, by the way, these info can be viewed in Primavera Web, but that means that you’ll have to publish everytime.

Help!

Best regards,

Jorge
Philip Jonker
Vlad, believe me , I went crosss eyed
Philip Jonker
Hi guys,

There is an obvious solution, stay with MS XP, and you will be able to run P3v3.4, however, you will probably have to stay with all the current version of other programs such as excel.

By the way, I believe suretrack is based on the same technology as P3 v3.4, and will also not survive the demise of P3 v3.4. Primavera, has developed the Contractor package, to replace Suretrak. Contractor has some severe limitations, which do not make it the practicable solution in every case, which is a limit of 750 activities. Single user only ie it cannot access the V5 database, so any updates have to be imported, from sub-projects using this version. Further, only one project can be open at any one time. To understand the concept requires quite a long explanation, of how the V5 database is structured.

By the way Vladimir, the version I evaluated is Enterpise Project Manager V5, which is the 9th upgrade of P3e.

In general V5 is good, as it seems to gives the right answers, as I have checked schedules imported from other programs, and they match.

In conclusion, although I have always liked P3 and tried to stay with it, as it was a good performer, we have to get out of the caves, start fires, and make iron.

Regards

Philip
Mario Sanvitale
User offline. Last seen 12 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Sigfredo. it doesn’t mean that. Microsoft Vista is a new level of operating system - compare it to the jumps when DOS went to Windows, and when Windows 95 came out (which was the last MS update of comparable importance). Primavera’s current leading system is Primavera 5, it’s a free upgrade if you are under maintenance, and it will run under Vista.

The legality issue regarding firing up an old project with the version of the software at the time it was backed up has been around for ever, I used to build taxation software, same problem there, it is not an issue, if you must use a very old version I’m sure someone (Primavera?) will have a copy they can help you with in a legal case. Plus I think most of the management consultancies (PwC for example) keep copies of most evoluitions of major software for precisely those reasons.

Of course, if you don’t have the software under maintenance and you decide to invest in Vista rather than staying with XP (or whatever system currently in use), then buying the new version of all systems that operate on the 16-bit standard is part of your investment.

Suretrak is 32-bit and as far as I know will run on Vista.
Se de Leon
Hi guys,

Does it mean everytime Microsoft develop and release a new Operating System in lieu of the current one and this OS is not compatible with the current Primavera version, Primavera has to change it’s platform as well?

If yes, when will this end?

As what Bill said, this has an effect on matters like if a lawyer would ask us in court how many years have we used a certain software. Somehow it could undermine credibility. I think this is worth looking at by fellow planners.

Cheers,

Se
Philip,
I did not test P3e for the enterprise resource leveling. Do it because there was an unanswered question at http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?fid=&Cat=8&Top=13573&page=2 that can be critical. I hope that P3e can solve this not too complicated task but still try to avoid unpleasant surprises in future.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Philip Jonker
Hi Guys,

A couple of questions.

What is the largest project, by number of activies anybody has run in P3 V3.4?

Anybody who has worked in V5 what problems so far?

Regards

Philip
Oscar Wilde
Bill
I agree thats always assuming by the time you get to court there is still a piece of hardware that can run the software that you planned on if not who knows if the software upgrade has changed the logic
you only need one lawyer to find one mistake and the cards all fall over oh dear
pass the gates colect 200 billion
oscar
David Andreotti
User offline. Last seen 8 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
I just got off the phone with Suretrak support. They’ll be supporting V3.0b until end of ’08. Maybe there’s no correlation with P3 3.1 but thought it was worth noting.
Philip Jonker
Hi Bill and all you other guys,

I am on a large project, which is just kicking of and has to be completed by 2010, and have spent the last week getting seriously involved with Enterprise Project Manager, what Version 5 is called. After a week I have found out a lot. Obviously, the one question that remains, is the stability of the software. This will only be found out as we go along. Generally, the product is essentially similar to the old P3, but with a lot of add-ons.

The Import/Export facilities exist for more operations, but essentially the important one is for excel, for mass editing, when you now export from V5, it creates a database template, with a row of heading descriptions, which makes it easy to understand the database field headings. this row is marked for deletion prior to re-importation to V5, this is stuff we had to do manually before, so it a bit like database for dummies, it is a good feature, which is a major improvement. Also, it imports from MSP, in a simple no-fuss way, and sorts out the WBS structure, but not the old eternal problem of MSP activity numbering (in numerical, not text format). It can furthe import from P3 V3.4, but I have not had a chance to try it out, but by looking at the way it imports MSP projects, I guess this will work just as well.

As for it’s other features, I think most of the old P3 apostles can get into it in no time, despite of all the fancy add-ons, which gives you the options of doing old tricks in a new way. One of the essential differences, is changes in terminology, some for the better, and some which is a bit confusing, but understandable. For instance a barchart, is now called a Ghantt Chart ( the way I was taught), but a PERT is now called an activity network, where they refer to a PDM (again old terminology, possibly more correct, as PERT could be eithe PDM or ADM). However, the point that confuses old users, is that nowhere do the refer to sub-projects within the program, although they do so in their manual. After a bit of thought about this it makes sense to me as if you look at it, every portion of a project is a project in it’s own sense. Example, on a project, you may have different contracts, each with their own project managers. The hierachical setup of V5 allows you to setup these, so-called projects as projects on their own, and as it is a pyramidical system, allows you to take into account Contractors, and there so-called sub-contractors. So you can effectively, structure your project anyway you like it.

This is a brief overview, and Bill you will probably tell me I am defecting, but I am not, just greener fields.

We had to do an evaluation of the two products today, as time is few, and my thing is that there is greener fields, which, can be grazed. As to the question of stability, I think we have always had these problems, and learnt how to deall with them, by way of various fixes, and that is why we are planners. If I think of it it I had a few crashes on P3 a year ago. but Pfix could sort them out.

I had to take part in writing an evalution, of the two programs today, and unfortunately P3 V3.4, the old work horse, needs to be put in a nice green field, and used as a stud, quite a nice way of ending it.

Regards,
Philip
Philip,
I don’t doubt that every PM software produces the same schedules for simple projects (without complex resource assignments) if resource limitations are not considered. Resource constrained schedules may be different - different packages use different algorithms.
Did you try enterprise resource leveling? I am curious if Luca is right?
Vladimir
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 8 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
aGREE Oscar

And in the claims business, yo must be able to track projects and do so with creditibility.

You know you can do so with creditibility with P3 but to have to learn to do the wheel again??? And then go into court with a p3 v 5 and state yes I am a expert in p3 vrs 5 but its only been on the market for 1 year. daaaaaa

whereas with p3 3.1 you could go into court and say yes am a expert with 15 years experience in P3.

hmmmmm food for thought
Oscar Wilde
mktse
copmpatible with what see bill guthrie nothing is compatible with p3 its [deleted by Moderator.]
thats really good bill in English
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Is it hard for Primavera of just making a patch to P3 so that it would run on 64/bit PC?

No, it’s not hard. It’s impossible.

Bernard Ertl
eTaskMaker Project Planning Software
Oscar Wilde
Mario
When you have 40 copies of P3 at 7000 us per shot would u pay the maintenance on all 40 maybe you would in which case i doubt you would be in business long i still have dongell copies what about those
The rub here is that a great deal of time i dont need the latest update
Now i must buy ms shares
we are talking about P3 what about all the other ms based software what are u saying i shouldnt upgrade i will have 2 as i dont only use ms then all 40 units must be binned [Deleted by Moderator.]
When i upgrade what will P3 P5 upgrade?????
[Deleted by Moderator.]
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 8 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
HI PHILIP

BEEN ON R AND R AND NOW BACK IN THE SADDLE.

Apppears you have really chatted with p3 people and and think we old war horses now should shut up about 3.1 and learn 5.0 ????
Damm, hate to see it.

Any thoughts??

cheers Bll
Sen Moc
User offline. Last seen 18 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Hi guys,

Is it hard for Primavera of just making a patch to P3 so that it would run on 64/bit PC? May we hear from the IT/Software experts out there.

Perhaps the other option is to stick to P3 and Windows up to XP version for sometime. Anyway, there’ll still be some leadtime before the New Windows Vista will be fully developed and common in the market; say, another 2 or 3 years(?) just like what happened from Win98 to Win Millenium then to 2000..etc up to XP.

Regards.
Sen

Philip Jonker
Hi again,
I am seriously lookig at the alternatives, and have been for a while. Let’s talk about what we want....................
Philip Jonker
Hi Guys,

Have to be polite, however, if P3 V3.4 is of the market in 2007, what is the options? Start shopping around or just use the same old software.
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 16 min ago. Offline
I would suggest to never use "compatible" as this means "almost" a "look alike".
P3 and P3e are called compatible, Suretrack and P3 are called compatible but not equal.
In P3 you have cost codes, activity splitting, resource curves and resource ,among other features not availabel in Suretrak, that result in your schedule differ with Suretrack.
With P3e you have resource leveling (not smoothing) while in Primavera Contractor you do not have any resource constraing feature, you have resource loading but no control on its allocation. The 700 activities limit is not just an arbitrary limit, it is dangerous indeed.
Sometimes the so called "Enterprise Stuff" is not what you really need, it is unempowering, it takes control away from people who need to have it. It is too expensive.
For desert I prefer to use a spoon rather than the bucket of a backhoe.
P3e after many upgrades is still a disaster and will ever be for those of us who do not need the enterprise features.
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 4 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
How about if we specifiy P3 compatible?
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
The issue is with new projects. You cannot specify a software (like P3) to be used on a new project if the operating system supporting it is no longer commonly retailed. New projects will be forced to specify Primavera 5.0 (or whatever new name Primavera chooses to com up with.)
MK TSE
I wonder why there is a time frame of 2007?
As far as our computer still working, the operation system is still function, P3 still run on extisting platform.
(I still working on win95 and the computer PIII is still in good condition. I worry hardware fail and no replacement only.)
Gordon Blair
User offline. Last seen 6 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
of course... there is always the option of buying maint. agreements now, and then trading in for P5... where the remaining period of your maint. agreements will be honoured (judging by some of the posts coming in about it, you may be glad of them :o))
Would that be an overly cynical course of action?
Mario Sanvitale
User offline. Last seen 12 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Oscar, you don’t have to upgrade your computers to the new version of Microsoft, so there is no reason why you can’t go on using your unsupported P3 licences. It’s not Primavera who are releasing the 32/64 bit Microsoft operating system, and it’s surely unreasonable to expect Primavera to update software that by your own admission you don’t pay them to support.
Se de Leon
Hi Oscar,

Yup you’re 100% right this is somehow a good software business. How to correct this, I believe competition is the answer.

Se
Oscar Wilde
The problem remains
I have loads of copies never bother to renew the licence as why do i need the helpline
now i cant use after 2007 so effectivly have to buy new copies what sort of business is this????
My opinion this is a good software business
Se de Leon
Hi Philip,

I think I’ve heard this before from Primavera when they released P3e. Please note in their statement now that they will stop support for 3.1 by year 2007 or "maybe" beyond. Please take note of the words maybe beyond. They also said that one of the reasons why they still support 3.1(not develop) is because of customer demand. Customer demand is still the bottom line here. Until they do really stop support, that’s the only time I will prepare my eulogy. For the meantime, Primavera should focus on making their products better than 3.1.

I’ll bring some flowers when we bury 3.1 and I will request a 21 gun salute from the US military.

After the funeral, I’ll be glad to be the godfather to a new baby. Definitely my new baby will not be P3 4.1. I’m now looking at P3 5.0, Powerproject or Spider.

BTW, I’ve seen the website of ASTA. Powerproject seems to be a good option.

Cheers,
Se
Alex Wong
Philip

Well said

Alex
Philip Jonker
Hi Guys,

This makes sense a Primavera is already saying, that P3 will suffer a demise in 2007, so the old workhorse will be shot and killed.

Think about it, we will have to get a 1000 pipers together who can play the "Flowers of the Forest" on bagpipes, and bury P# V3.1.

This is a sad business, considering the fireman and others that died in 09.11
Oscar Wilde
So
Do i stay with what i have or upgrade to 5 is it really P3e/C
Whats 3.1 then
Oscar
Bill McMichael
User offline. Last seen 12 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
It is correct that Microsoft’s initial plans were for their next version of Windows (dubbed Vista), scheduled for release in either late 2006 or early 2007 would be 64bit only.

However, since then Microsoft has announced Windows Vista will come in three architecture flavors: a 32bit version, a 64bit version for x86, and a 64bit version for the Itanium processor. There will also be home and business categories.

I suspect this is because a 64bit version would require people to buy new hardware and there will not be many native 64bit applications intially to take advantage of the 64bit processor.

Vista 32bit will run 32bit apps natively. This should also run 16-bit applications like P3.

Vista 64bit for x86 will run 64bit apps natively and 32bit apps through the WOW or emulation layer. Note that this will not run full emulation, but will access the 32bit capabilities inherent in the processors.

Here’s an article talking about it.
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/47665/47665.html?Ad=1

Regards,
Bill

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
P3 will NEVER run on the Vista operating system. Vista is a 64-bit system with an emulator module to convert 32-bit instruction sets to 64-bit instructions on the fly. This means that it can run 32-bit software, only slower because it is interpreting as it goes.

There is no facility in Vista to translate 16-bit instructions. Primavera will not even attempt to test P3 as it will not work on Vista, by definition.

If you want to run P3, don’t buy a Viata computer and don’t upgrade to Vista. Otherwise, upgrade to P3e/c (now called Primavera 5.0.) Hope that this clears-up everything.
Alex Wong
Bill

Thats what they said when we upgrade from Window 3.1 to 98
16bit to 32 bit. It took them few years to resolve all the problems.

You will expect a few years again or longer because Primavera is no longer develop P3 3.1

Cheers

Alex
MK TSE
Primavera may not test P3 3.1 on Windows Vista.
Although P3 3.1 can run on Windows Vista 32-bit, no gurarantee it perform well and function well from Primavera if they not test it.
Bill McMichael
User offline. Last seen 12 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Windows Vista (next generation of Windows OS is scheduled to be available in either late 2006 or 2007). This will be available in 64-bit and 32-bit versions, so 32-bit version should be able to run 16 bit software like P3 3.1.

Regards,
Bill
Brennan Westworth
User offline. Last seen 7 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Primavera is currently offering a free upgrade to P3 V5

"Any P3 license under current maintenance can be upgraded to Primavera 5.0 at no charge. We ask that you test Primavera 5.0, and within 90 days if you are not completely satisfied, contact us. The current maintenance expiration date of P3 carries over to new Primavera 5.0 licenses. "

http://www.primavera.com/customer/products/p3_upgrade.asp
Viewed 16/10/05