Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Reminder tasks

6 replies [Last post]
Ad Ben
User offline. Last seen 17 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello, Please help if you can.
I need to learn how to place a activity in my schedule that is a reminder to do something. its not really a task. Just a reminder to get something done ahead of time.
I want to place this item a set time frame ahead of a activity and have it stay linked only to this one activity and float with it. But since it has no pred. it stays at the data date in P3.
How can I make it sit 20 days or what ever ahead of an activity and move with it. If I start the activity early or late I need the reminder to stay with it.
Any ideas??

Replies

Ad Ben
Thanks!!!!!!!!
That works perfect
Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you
Larry Bjorn
User offline. Last seen 11 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Ben,

On the reminder activity, tick the zero free float in the constraints dialog box.

Regards,
Larry
Ad Ben
Yes the block wall has a pred of the permit. But the permit doesn’t have a pred. That is what is putting it at the data date. I have tried all the options in the task field and have not gotten any different results.
It is driving me crazy.
Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 35 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Ad Ben,

It will have a predecessor! The start of the wall is a predecessor of the finish of the getting the permit. With -30 days lag (lead).

If it’s date isn’t moving as the wall’s dates move, something is wrong. Try making the block wall "reminder" a milestone, with duration of zero, and then have the activity to apply for the permit as a FS successor of that milestone.

If it doesn’t work then, something else is going on.
Ad Ben
Thanks for the reply.
I did try that.
What I am trying to do is set a reminder to get my block wall permit 30 days before I start the wall. So I did as you say and did a SF and even tried a SS with -30 lag and it still just sits at the data date since it has no pred. I don’t want to put a pred. on it so that it will float with the wall. If I can start early or late, I still want to remember to get it 30 days before I start the wall.
Anyone????
Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 35 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi, Ad Ben.

I am by no means an expert on any software package (with apologies to Vladimir, none of them do all of what I want them to do, although Spider may come closest!).

However I would think that using the following logic relationship should do the trick:

A = Install Window
B = Order Window

Pred A start-to-finish -20 Succ B

A -> SF-20 -> B

One word of warning: if using MS Project, be aware that the late dates it computes for the successor in SF relationships are not intuitively obvious (IMO, they are one unit too great). In the above example, if A has an early (or late) start date of Day 50, it will give B a finish date of Day 30, when the finish of Day 29 is what IMO would be consistent with the usual approach of having activities always finish at the end of a time unit.

I don’t know about Primavera, Spider, Open Plan, etc.