Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Why do schedulers put cost in a resource called cost instead of using the cost fields?

3 replies [Last post]
John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Why do schedulers put cost in as a resource called cost instead of using the cost fields?  I have seen many schedules over the years and I have seen that quite a bit.  Also, I work in a corporate system where we are supposed to stick to "Project Calendars" but I noticed that resources have to have a calendar and they apear to only use the Global Calendars - is there a work-around, is that correct?

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

you MUST have resource to assign costs. The cost has to be assoicated with a resource and the resource is assigned to that activity. You can make a resource call it LUMPSUM if you want and assign that resource to your activities and then put in the approprate costs.

not ture you can have a SPECIFIC RESOURCE calendar its a shared resource calendar

here is a work around in your calendars create your project calendar that you want to use on your project make it unique maybe put the project number or project identifier in fromt of the calendar name i.e. 5 days per week make it DCA 5 days per week where DCA is the project name or 123456 - 5 days per week where 123456 is the project number. Then select To Global now you can select this for your resource and you can assign this back as a project calendar.

the key is making the name of the calendar unique which realtes to a project. 

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 days 5 hours ago. Offline