Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource levelling

6 replies [Last post]
Gareth Wright
User offline. Last seen 7 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I'm trying to understand why P6 resource levels over non-working time hours.  For example, I have a resource that only works Monday - Friday but when I resource level, it shows as an over-allocation at the weekends where I would have thought it would extend the duration to account for this.  I do not have the "Level resources only within activity Total Float" option selected.

Can anyone suggest where I may have a setting wrong - I have been through all the user prefs and cannot see anything to affect it.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

Khuong Do
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

You may refer to this article to have an idea of How does “Level Resources” in Primavera P6 work?

Link : https://doduykhuong.com/2016/06/30/how-does-level-resources-in-primavera-p6-work/

Yes, David, Spider Project takes into account both activity and resource calendars when schedule and level.

But the question was about P6 and so thank you for the explanations. We have problems with export/import between Spider and P6 in case of multiple calendars because for us it is hard to understand why and when P6 ignores calendar constraints.

In my opinion project schedule shall take into account all existing constraints.

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 2 years 11 weeks ago. Offline

Gareth,

Let us assume an actvity which is seven days long, and It has a resource that is only available for five days.

If the activity is Task Dependent, it will be scheduled Mon-Sun

If the activity is Resource Dependent, it will be scheduled Mon-Fri + the following Mon-Tue. This is a function of the resource's calendar, not its availability. Indeed an availability of zero on Sat and Sun,  is still an "availabilty" ( I know, I know. Expect Vladimir along any minute to tell you about "Hard Zeros")

Levelling does not "add" resource-calendar tracking to a task dependent activity. The activity will be placed with its scheduled duration as soon as the minimum moment algorithm gives the optimum position.  So, for example if my resource calendar has zero availabilty in week one,  a resource dependent activity will still be scheduled then, because week one is in the resource's calendar. But when levelled, the activity will be delayed for all of that week because there is no avaiability.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 29 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

not much more you can do 

Gareth Wright
User offline. Last seen 7 years 2 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Zoltan,

Thanks for the reply.  I have checked the max units/time and calendar and they are set as should be at 100% on a 8hx5d calaendar.  The resource limit in the histogram is correct and showing 8h limit Monday - Friday and 0h Saturday & Sunday.

I have checked the resource directory and have run the resource leveling with & without the 'Drive activity dates by default' box checked. 

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 29 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

make sure that your resource is assigne to the correct calendar go to the resources directory and loo on the right hand side and see what calendar it is using. Also look at  the max units/time.

Also look at the project directory and look at the resource tab look at drive activity dates by default. If it is checked then If an activity has more than one driving resource, the resource that takes the longest to complete determines the duration of the activity.