Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Group & Sort - WBS ???

4 replies [Last post]
C. Andre McMillan
User offline. Last seen 8 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello.

I am hoping there is a sorting solution that someone can help me with.

Can the WBS be sorted by Start Date? I'm in the Planning Stage of a project that has 11 buildings. If I change sequencing, Building 8 might be the 1st one being worked on, but it's showing up 8 buildings down the list. What I did was moved the WBS around to accomodate 8 being first on the list and so on. However, different sequences are being proposed and I don't want to have to re-format the WBS every time. Is there a way to have it automatically Re-Sort a particular WBS Section (Building #) by Start Date???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

I still think you can make a code by building and and 1.2 thru 1.4 just as you have them listed. 

You just would not have the indentation and everying would jus be grouped by building no futher level

You can even use a global change to assign the building to the building code

where wbs is under 1.5 

then BLDS = 1 (for building #1)

yes there has been much debate about using the codes instead of the wbs

C. Andre McMillan
User offline. Last seen 8 years 51 weeks ago. Offline

Raymund - that didn't work.

Zoltan - unfortunately for this project, the WBS goes way deeper. Like this:

1.1 Project Management

1.1.1 Administration

1.1.2 XXXXX

1.1.3 XXXXX

1.2 Design

1.2.1 Environmental

1.2.2 Civil

1.2.3 XXXXX etc...

eventually I get to a 1.5.1 which is for ZONE 1 and under the Zone falls a few buildings. In each building falls UG, mech, elec, etc....

What I'd really like is to be able to Select and Sort by Start for "WBS Subset 6" (or whatever it's called) because I want the Zone's to go in order, but just want the Buildings to show up in order of their starts.

Other than using a combination of Indents and Activity Codes, I guess there is no way around it. A limitation to P6. It's almost like why bother with creating a WBS when you can do the same thing with Activity Codes and give yourself a lot more options.

Thank you two for responding, I appreciate it.

Andre

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Other option is to create an activity code called for building

then create a building code value building #1 thru building #8

now assign each activity to the proper building code this can be done quickly if it already grouped by building # in the wbs

just group by wbs then either highlight each activity in that building group and right click and  select assign activity code and then choose the building # or add a column for the building code # and do a fill down

now you can group by building # and if the building # order changes you can just go into the activity code dictionary and modify the order within the activity code thus leaving your wbs intact.

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 9 weeks 21 hours ago. Offline

I suggest to use the Start Date then WBS in the Group & Sort Group By...