Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Scope change: freezing the baseline in p6

2 replies [Last post]
PJ Alanjari
User offline. Last seen 10 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Friends,

I am involved in a project in which the scope changes frequently as the client as awarding us with multiple cost-reimbursible work-packages. Let's say at this time I have A1 and A2 workpachages. I baseline the schedule and stauts it, then I proceed to develope the S-curve comparing busget against the EVs and actuals. 

One months from now, the client will award us with WP B1 and B2 which not only influences the budget but it may affects A1 and A2 relationships as well, as the works are intertwined. So what I was told to do is to freeze the baseline on the original A1 and A2 plus the new B1 and B2 and then proceed to status the schedule and provide the S-curve.

Two months from now, they will award us with C1 and C2 which will in turn affect A1 to B2 BUT they want me to freez the baseline on original A1 and A2 on day 1 and B1 and B2 on month 1 and then status it based on EVs I get at the end of months two.

I know I can update the baseline anytime but this does not keep my original A1 A2 or B1 or B2!!

I also know I can keep my original baseline but it does not contain B1, B2, C1 and C2. Could anyone please help me with any suggestions?

Replies

Arend Woltjer
User offline. Last seen 8 years 40 weeks ago. Offline

Mr. Alanjari,    (hi PJ)

I think you came up with a good solution.

Create separate projects (in one eps maybe) and then you will be able to status them apart and save baselines apart.

When you schedule (tools-schedule ) remember to klick options and mark the ' Ignore relationships to and from other projects'

Good luck

Arend

PJ Alanjari
User offline. Last seen 10 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

The idea that myself have is to create multiple projects and baseline them once they are added to the database. This way, I can always status the individual projects and comapre them against the original baseline. Perhpas, I only need an experienced scheduler confirmation on this or an alternative approach.

Thanks,

PJ,