Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Prioritization when leveling with P6

No replies
Jean Desjardins
User offline. Last seen 13 hours 27 min ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello guys,

I am currently leveling resources in a oil refinery turnaround project.

I have about 40 heat exchangers that need to be disassembled, cleaned, inspected and reassembled.

The customer wants to reassemble every heat exchanger as soon as the inspection is completed.

However, P6 sometimes pushes the reassembly later than other exchangers activities having a lower priority level.

Did anybody experienced similar situation or any suggestion to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 46 min ago. Offline

I am not a P6 user but read a little about it. Maybe the issue is in the settings.

Oracle Primavera P6 Professional Help Version 21

Leveling priority definitions

Projects typically contain more than one chain of activities. If two activities from different chains are ready for leveling, P6 Professional chooses one using the priorities you specify in the Leveling Priorities area of the Level Resources dialog box. Then, it sorts numbers first, then alphabetic characters, followed by blank values. If you specify no prioritization codes, P6 Professional sorts by activity ID.

The following table defines your priority and order options for leveling resources to meet customer requirements.

Priority

Ascending

Descending

Activity ID

Levels activities with lower IDs first.

Levels activities with higher IDs first.

Activity Priority

Levels lower priority activities first.

Levels higher priority activities first.

Early Finish

Levels activities with earlier, early finish dates first.

Levels activities with later, early finish dates first

…………

Using Resource Leveling in Primavera P6 Scheduling Software

Make sure your first option is Activity Priority field.

The following reference might also help.

P6 - Reviewing_Resource_Leveled_Schedules.pdf

Good Luck,

Rafael

Hamza BENOUFIR
User offline. Last seen 12 hours 39 min ago. Offline

Hi, I have my humble experience in levelling with P6. It's far from ideal but as a suggestion, for each exchanger, have one single activity loaded with the hours (unique levellable resource(s)) and covering the needed duration. It could be an actual activity or just an "avatar" activity. You can link other activities with their own separate resources. But the levellable activity should drive them.

Do the levelling as needed for the unique levellable resources only, It's the best way I have found so far. Split activities don't mean anything, and as David said, they're just a minimum lag.

david kelly
User offline. Last seen 19 hours 6 min ago. Offline
I have experienced this with every client in the last 20 years who wanted to use P6 for levelling. It does work exactly as it says, but it offers no control over splittable activities, or stretching/crunching. You will probably have discovered by now that relationship lag is always a 'minimum' lag, rather than mandatory. So you cannot mandate a zero duration lag between the finish of inspection and the start of reassembly. Essentially, the levelling function in P6 is incomplete. Last time I looked, the ludicrous 'P6 Cloud' offered no improvement. Spider Project is complete here.