Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MS Project 2003 export to Excel 2010 WBS intact

7 replies [Last post]
Eric Redding
User offline. Last seen 12 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

Does anyone know how I can export, copy/paste, an MS Project file to Excel and retain the WBS structure?  Summary tasks bold, child tasks indented, etc.

My current workaround is to add the WBS column to the Project file and copy/paste into Excel.  Then I have to manually indent and bold. 

Thanks and be well,

Eric

Replies

Ellen Lehnert, Mi...
User offline. Last seen 6 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

Good to hear this help.  Please keep in mind that in MSP 2007 this will not work because the ability to save a .mpp file as HTML was eliminated.  In MSP 2010 you can achieve an export keeping the WBS structure using copy and paste into Excel.

Ellen Lehnert, Mi...
User offline. Last seen 6 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

Hemanth is correct, however,  his method it will only apply to 2010 MS Project.  However, if you are using 2003 there is a way of doing this.  Here is an article that I wrote a few years ago.  I will only work for 2003 because the ability to save a file as HTML was removed in 2007.  In all versions the export function will not maintain the structure.

http://www.lehnertcs.com/pdfs/200804_ezine.pdf 

There is also many tips and trick articles that would be of use for all levels of MS Project.  Help yourself.

www.lehnertcs.com.

Ellen Lehnert

MS Project MVP

Eric Redding

Thanks,  That answers my question and allows me to "export" the WBS structure from MSP to Excel--version 2003 MSP.

Darren Kosa
User offline. Last seen 7 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Eric,

If you're using 2k3 try this workaround.

http://www.lehnertcs.com/pdfs/200804_ezine.pdf

Regards,

Darren

Eric Redding

2003 MSProject does not have the MSProject to Excel and maintain the task heirarchy feature that 2010 has. 

Hemanth Kumar
User offline. Last seen 1 year 8 weeks ago. Offline

Like This

Hemanth Kumar
User offline. Last seen 1 year 8 weeks ago. Offline

In MSP 2010: Show all columns in MSP and just copy it and paste in Excel .

For Better Presentation, Group the Activities in MSP, Then Copy Paste

All Horizontal bands will be there with all the text formats and color ( Only vertical bands will be missing )

Not Tried In MSP 2003