Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Problems in the duration

4 replies [Last post]
Jhorbam Baena Orozco
User offline. Last seen 2 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi everyone

I have the follow problem.

I tried to built my project in MS Project 2007 but the duration of the task are very weird...ok...i have the calendar of this way...Monday to Sunday...From 7:00 am to 11:30am and From 1:30 pm to 7:00 pm.

The Begin date is the 5 of May of 2010 and the finish date is the 30 of May of 2010...well...Project say me that the duration is 43.41 days...hey hello, I tried to put any calendar 24 hours or the calendar that i customize but nothing work like a want...I want to show 25 days of duration...Can someone help me and show me what is the problem?...the MPP file is this and you can download from mediafire...the first group don’t have or be finished...but the second (Mechanical Activities) are like I want.

Thanks

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mnkfj2yyynj/PDT de Línea de 8 Propanoducto.mpp

Replies

Bo Johnsen
User offline. Last seen 8 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Orozco,

Your problem is probably caused by a good mix of calendars and that some of the settings are wrong before starting to entering task.

Under Format-Options-Calendar you state that a day is defined as 14 hrs, but the Estándar calendar only allows them to work 10 hrs – and the Estándar calendar is still applied to all your resources. Furthermore, you have default start time of the day set as 07.00 (also the Calendar-tab).

Now you suddenly change the project to a 24 hrs calendar, meaning that all tasks that don’t have any calendar assigned to them (=None) take upon this 24 hrs calendar, however, the Estándar-calendar is still assigned to all resources with only 10 hrs of allowable working time per day and a day defined as 14 hrs starting at 07:00 and not 00:00 when you have a 24 hrs calendar. Furthermore, all your tasks are defined as fixed units, meaning the duration will change as you change calendar and there are a SNET-constraint set to start at 07:00. All in all, you can’t almost avoid to end up with odd comma-days.

My suggestion – and as you only have 18 activities – start a new project, get the settings correct (the maths have to agree), be aware of which calendar is assigned to the task, which calendar is assigned to the resources, how a day is defined by MSP, etc.

Regards,

Bo
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 18 hours ago. Offline
Are you getting this? About 25.42 days?

Working Time MSP

Using a Standard Calendar as per your definition I got the following. Perhaps constraints are having a different impact on total duration depending on calendar. Hammer Rule would be handy, hit it with a hammer until it fits.

MSP Standard Calendar

Best Regards,
Rafael
Jhorbam Baena Orozco
User offline. Last seen 2 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Rafael Thanks but if you saw my project file the problem isn’t the 24 hours calendar...cause i did it that you say me...but the wrong duration still in my project.
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 18 hours ago. Offline
Orozco,

If you wan to use a 24hr calendar define work hours/days/month as follows.

Go to Tools/Change Working Time/Options and make;

Hours per day = 24.00
Hours per week = 168.00
Days per month = 30.00

Best regards.
Rafael