Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

bogus vacancies on internet

5 replies [Last post]
Shahzad Sikandar
User offline. Last seen 6 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
hi Planners

after receving response from some jobseekrs, i was just wondering what proportion of vancancies uplaoded on internet daily are bogus.

i am talking about all recruitment agencies who upload planning vacancies and also the employers themselves?

or there isnt a single bogus job up on internet?

i heared that companies does that i-e (advertise bogus vacancies) to influence their share price? this is in relation to employers themselves.

up to whay extent my perception is true?

can anybody put some light on that or share their experience? i dont know myslef as i havnt been applying for jobs myslef.

thanks

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Joel

Thanks for the head up.

The usual rule applies - If it sounds to good to be true then it probably is.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Joel Gilbert
User offline. Last seen 4 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
To all Planners,

There is a new agency by the name of offshoreworker (They will change their name regularly). These companies operate from Nigeria and place adverts in recruiting agencies and send you a contract with real good salaries and you have to wait for their emmigation lawyer to get in touch with you blah,blah,blah

The contract had no company letterhead and the postal box number was wrong as well as the telephone number and if you phone,some idiot answers it with such a bad accent you just know it is fake. That was for Chevron Nigeria LTD which I knew would not employ without a interview.

I think the scam is:

You go through the whole registration process and after a fake registration they will tell you they want your banking details to deposit the money that is due to you as a starting fee and I think that is when the shit hits the fan.

I did not go through with it and therefore warning others

Advice:

Always contact the HR department and also verify the company

Hope this could help some planners out there not to be desperate and be carefull.

If it is not I just thew a job paying 20000$ on 28/28 and they told me the off days where paid as well

Regards

Joel
Shahzad Sikandar
User offline. Last seen 6 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
thanks Nigeel & Mike

mike i really appreciated your comment but the trouble is how one would catch any recruiter posting bogus jobs?

if it is illegal in the UK then job seekers should do something about those ill practicing recruitement agencies & employers
cheers
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Shahzad & Nigel

If you do catch someone placing bogus job vacancoies then report it to the Trading Standards Office - the practice is illegal in the UK.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Nigel Winkley
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
I certainly have applied for ’fictional’ positions. Certainly in the past, some disreputable recruiters advertised fake positions to trawl for CVs and hence be able to state, validly, that they had "over 200 planners" on their books.
These days not so sure that sort of thing happens.