Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Working in Iraq

14 replies [Last post]
Eleazar dela Cruz
User offline. Last seen 14 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi everybody.

I just want to know from everyone here at pp about working as a planner/scheduler in Iraq? I have an employer whose recruiting me to work in Iraq.

Tnx.

Replies

Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
James
Working in Iraq I do not believe is a worthwhile occupation however much you get paid
It will be surely difficult to spend your money if you are dead and equally difficult to earn any more if you have no legs
Construction in overseas locations is quite dangerous enough without doing it in a war zone
However if thats what is required to support a family then so be it but I trust this is not the case
As to stumps or $ in the bank that assumes I guess that I have never been in the firing line however my experiences in parts of the Philipines, Malaysia, Nigeria, Oman, Yemen have on ocassion required armed protection and on ocassion the need to dodge the ocassional bullet.These are not war zones. So there but for the grace of God go I and getting a level of reimbursement to dodge the bullets seems only fair and reasonable, however my ex wife removed my $ in the bank along with the shirt off my back
Hope that clarifies my position
Clive
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Clive - I don’t suppose that you are typing your letters with wooden sticks attached to your arm/leg stumps - but have a couple of million $ in the bank?

James.
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Charlie
Are you saying the Philipines Government are stopping people working where they want to this sounds like they have taken a leaf out of the Americans book of Civil rights
As to you Ely
If you really want to work in Iraq go for it
As long as you have no commitments no family no wish to have a future with all your limbs in tact it sounds like an absolutely splendid opportunity.
Clive
James Griffiths
Well, just you jolly-well carry-on learning P5, then. In the meantime, I’m off for the week-end. The wife and kids are waiting to steal my wallet and jump all over me.

Have a good week-end.

James.
mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Hi James

don’t be so sad I don’t give up so easily, my plan is with little chance if I managed to learn P5, I’ll have more opportunity to go with her to other third party continent where they are ( I have been told ) more immigrant-friendly.

James never underestimates the power of Primavera software ;-)

Mimoune

James Griffiths
Mimoune,

I’m sorry to hear that your young lady is on another continent. It must be difficult for you, and I fully sympathise. However, you must be a really, really, really sad and lonely person if acquiring P5 is any form of compensation for the separation between you and your loved one.

James. :-)
mimoune djouallah
Hi James,

Unfortunately I am always the same cynic guy, it is even worst now, I get myself involved in a sad story , to resume; my sweetie is living in another country now, and it seems that all planners are escaping the old continent ( by reading all those threads in career section ). So I have no luck to fellow her. And she can’t stick with me here.

Anyway to finish with a positive note, I have now Primavera 5, although I know you are an Ms Project fan ;-)

Friendly mimoune

James Griffiths
Hi Mimoune,

Yes, I must admit that I was having a really good chuckle about the Australia job...in fact it made my day! It was written with tremendous definition of character.

How are you doing then, Mimoune? Having fun...or are you becoming a manic depressive, a cynic and miserable little sausage being tossed-about in the frying-pan of life?

We’ve got some really interesting projects going on....and I can almost take-my-pick. Yehaa, someone loves me!!!!

Cheers.

James.
mimoune djouallah
James

The ability to speak about horrible situation with humor, I really appreciate this way of writing.

Bye the way do you read the thread about working in Australia, that what I call hilarious ;-)

Definitely I love this language

mimoune
James Griffiths
And what was that supposed to mean, Mimoune???

James :-)
mimoune djouallah
Hi James

I was sure that you will reply to this post in your own style (TM)

Friendly mimoune
James Griffiths
Hi Ely,

I saw one job being offered in Iraq (Bhagdad) several months ago. Pay was up to $150k US. Apparently about 95% of your time would be in the Green Zone. Dunno what the casualty rate is, with regard to western civilian personnel, but when the Iraqis murder their own population, westerners aint got no hope.

In principle, the pay was good, relative to what I’m currently earning, but nowhere near enough to tempt me. I’d rather go for an oil-rig in Northern Alaska.

James.
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ely,

You can not legally work in Iraq.

There is a ban in the deployment of Filipinos in Iraq.

It will be a big headache for the Philippine government in the event something worse will happen to Filipinos in Iraq.

so forget the recruitment, Arbil, Irag.

Man, read the news, watch CNN or BBC.

Charlie
Eleazar dela Cruz
User offline. Last seen 14 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Hi James, mimoune

I am being recruited in Arbil, Iraq... I don’t really know the situation there if it is the same in bhagdad. thanks for your sharing your wisdom about the matter.