Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6, Resources duplicated during import

5 replies [Last post]
Anees Ahmad
User offline. Last seen 12 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

I am facing problem while importing XER. While importing XER, by selecting "Update Existing Project" with "Default Import Configuration", some labour resources are assigned twice to activities.

Can anyone please help to solve this issue....

Thanks & Regards,

Anees Ahmad

Replies

Abdulhafiz Suara
User offline. Last seen 3 days 12 hours ago. Offline

Thanks all, I was in the same shoes but none of the aforementioned helped me (all are respected though!). However, I fixed this by grouping my resource assignment by "Resource"[In the Resource assignment view, select all, right click-->Group by-->Resource], this way I was able to delete all assignments of one of the twins.

Cheers.

Luca Basile
User offline. Last seen 9 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
In the project View under the tab "Resources" is you do click the option "resource can be assigned to the same activity more than once" may also help out! L
Anees Ahmad
User offline. Last seen 12 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks Ronald & Andrew,

In addition to your emails, I found following detail also.

"There are five fields that the software uses to identify a Resource Assignment as unique. If the data in any of these five fields is different from the data that is in the XER file, then Project Management will add the Resource Assignment as a new resource. These five fields are:

• Price/Unit (Price per unit)
  • Activity ID
  • Resource Name
  • Resource ID
  • Cost Account

It is possible for the software to consider the Price Per Unit to be different in the incoming file, however, if the User Preferences (specifically the setting at Edit, User Preferences, Currency tab, "Show decimal digits") differ between the exporting user and the importing user.

Solution

Check the "Show decimal digits" option in the User Preferences under Currency Tab before exporting the project, if possible. Alternatively, re-attempt the import having changed that setting.

Upon checking in detail, I found that the resources whose assignments were being duplicated had different "Price/Unit" in XER than the database being imported to. So I fixed that and it worked..

Regards,

Anees Ahmad

Andrew Podolny
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Anees.

It happens when resource assignment has no Cost ID associated with it.

In order to properly update existing assignments and add only new ones you need to set Cost IDs for all of them.

Regards,

Andrew

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 22 weeks ago. Offline

Anees,

You may not have any error; perhaps there are multiple resources assigned.  It is legal in P6 to assign the same resource multiple times to the same activity.  This allows for different productivity and/or wage rates.  One may be Journeymen and the other Apprentices.  Look deeper into your situation before deciding that you have a problem.  Good luck!