Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

import xls into notebook entry

6 replies [Last post]
Johnny Pain
User offline. Last seen 2 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
hi all,

I have a small problem here.
a colleague of mine is currently building a "database" of activities in a client-based program. these activities are going to be imported into P6 at some point, but before we can do this, I have to try things out to see if it works.
my problem is that I can’t seem to find how to import the comments he wrote into the notebook field in P6.
I tried to export a project w/comments just to see what field it was in, and it seems that even when exporting, the notebook data isn’t available.

does someone have an idea ?
I already tried the forum search function, but didn’t find what I was looking for.

thanks for your time,

djo

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Johnny,
UDF is a best way but if you have SDK you import comments to notebook on any topic you wanted.
Johnny Pain
hey

I tried to import some comments into an UDF field, and it worked.
the most important thing I needed was to import comments, wherever they might land, and the UDF field fits alright.

thanks again !
Johnny Pain
I’ll try the user defined text field stuff.
I think I’ll need only one of these.

thanks !
muhammad anwar
User offline. Last seen 4 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Dieter,

How would you add notebook topic to used defined field[UDF] then how woudl you add same topic to multiple fields means two UDF. Please eloborate a bit more. I am sure this is not possible. you can play around with notebook topic via dictionary.xls or you can see the comments inside a specific topic in a report but not in UDF.

regards

Muhammad.
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Good Morning Muhammad,

Did you find a better solution? This is a discussion forum so I used my little experience with P3e (currently P6.7) for my comment and would be lucky if someone has a better solution.

Notebooks you can only get in some very few reports, show in a Gantt chart but not use for filter or global change. You can export them in XER and XML format. XML is difficult to work with.
So in my humble opinion it would be the best, not to use notebook items but UDF. Exeptions might be of course.

Johnny
maybe you can convince your colleague to use UDF.

Regards

Dieter

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Johnny

as many notebook items can ce attached to one activity, it is a list and would require one more group. Not available, so you can’t export or import notebook items.

If it’s only text to import, you can define a user defined field of the type "text" which can contain about 250 (256?)characters. If not sufficient, define a second UDF and you’ll have >500 characters, and a ....

Hope this helps et bonne chance!

Dieter