Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Add new Resource to an Activity

2 replies [Last post]
Philip Richards
User offline. Last seen 15 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
When i add a new Resource to an existing activity which already has stored period performance against other resources, the new resource is given a period performance equal to the sum of the existing period performances (Total Period Performance for that activity doubles).

This does not happen all the time. It is hit and miss.

I cannot find a setting relating to this.

Does anyone have any suggestions Please

Replies

Peter Nicol
User offline. Last seen 14 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
ali, there are reasons to add additional resources to an activity. (Personally i would end the current activity and add a new activity but that may not always be the best option either) expenses are not much use if you identifying additional work. but then if thats the case it should be an additional activity ???

back on topic though, i suspect this relates the duration type on the activity.

there 4 options:

Fixed duration & Units
Fixed duration & units/time
fixed units/time
fixed units

i’m guessing the activities in question have a duration type of units/time or fixed units. (options 3 & 4) because if you added a resource you are essentially changing the number of units for that activity. which means duration would change.

my advice check the duration type and it should be set to fixed duration & units for this to work correctly.

- Peter.
Ali Farhat
User offline. Last seen 14 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
I dont see the logic behind adding a resource assignment to an activity that already started...maybe thats why it is giving a weird result.
try to use the expenses if you want to add the cost to the activity.