Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Must finish by

2 replies [Last post]
Naveen Subbaiah
User offline. Last seen 14 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
hi,

I am working on P3e 4.1 & my query is - "Is it possible to have a Must start on & Must finish dates for a project" The logic is I have unlimited supply of resources so I need to fix the start & finsh dates. Also is it possible to have "Must start on & Must finish by" dates for individual WBS elements within a project.

Thanks in advance.
Naveen

Replies

Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 10 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Naveen,

You can have a "Planned Start" date and a "Must Finish By" date when you create a new project.
The "Must Finish By" will lead to have a negative TF if the activities passed this date.

You can’t have constraints for the WBS Summary activity type but since that the WBS summary is a roll up of activities under it, then you can assign the constraints dates for these activities.

Regards,
Karim
Shareef Abdul Azeez
User offline. Last seen 3 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hi

Its been quite a while, But what I think is u would have to start your project sectors or WBS structures with a Start mile stone. That would we sufficient. Then after you pull in your programme to the required Must Finish date that is, with out giving any constraints!!!.....,,,,, then finally put the Must finish on date which in P3.0 is in the Project over view and in P5 it comes in the start itself.

The sole purpose, I think of this must finish date is to get the float in your programme from this particular date else, the programme calculates dates from the Early start which normally during the updation stages of a programme goes out of the Must Finish Date.

Hope I am right. :)