Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera Contractor

5 replies [Last post]
Marcio Sampaio
User offline. Last seen 11 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Hello all,

Do u think that a professional who has a big expertise in the usage of Primavera Contractor can say that he has a basic knowledge in the usage of Primavera 5.0?

Regards.

Marcio Eduardo
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Replies

Arthur Godbeer
User offline. Last seen 15 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
When in the program, go to Help/About Primavera. The version and build # are on the default About tab.

Upgrades from 4.1 to 5.0 are available on request for licences that are on maintenance. There is also a special short-term upgrade price from Standard (750 activities per project) to Deluxe (2000).
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Mario,

Glad to see someone who knows the product. How does one tell if they have a Version 4 Contractor or a Version 5? Is the version level printed or advertised?
Mario Sanvitale
User offline. Last seen 12 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
For clarification, all those features Ronald described are in both standard and deluxe Contractor v5. The only difference between the two systems is the number of activities.
Marcio Sampaio
User offline. Last seen 11 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks for your response Ronald,

I have been working with P3e - and now with P5 - since 2003.
The reason of may question is:
Some small companies here in Brazil are buying P5 - too expensive - cose they dont know Contractor Deluxe. Thats a foult from Primavera Partners in Brazil.
And i think that it is easier to give a Contractor Trainning. I also believe that it could be an attractive to interested professionals if this trainning guarantee that leraning Contractor u are also learning P5.

Are u agree?

Regards.

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Marico,

Contractor is the same thing as P3ec. Only with some of the features turned off. Contractor users are missing the ability to open more than one schedule at a time, so you are not used to multi-schedule portfolio-type functionality. You are also missing the resource leveling function used in P3ec.

Finally, Contractor is a dumbed-down version of P3ec Version 4.1, while the rest of use P3ec users have been using Version 5.0 for a year now. If you are interested, the new version of Contractor (which I mistakenly called Contractor 1000 in another post) is called Contractor Deluxe and is running on the dumbed-down version of Version 5.0. Contractor has a limit of 750 activities while Deluxe has a limit of 2000 activities.

So, what is new in Deluxe that is not in stunted Contractor (besides the activity limit?) Because it is the Version 5.0 software you have

- Project kickstart wizard,
- Undo
- More data transfer options
- Progress spotlight
- More customized graphics and reports

Most people think that the Undo function is great but I find the new transfer functions more useful.

Yes, if you really understand Contractor, then I would say that you would know your way around P3ec well enough. Good luck!