Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3 Help - Please!!!

1 reply [Last post]
Rebecca Sprouse
User offline. Last seen 16 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Trying to open Primavera and I keep getting this message -

WORKLOC directory is invalid or cannot be created.

Any help would be appreciated - have a very important project due - NOW!!

THANKS!!

Replies

Roli Rafa
User offline. Last seen 15 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Rebecca,

I have 2 suggestions based on my assumptions since you did not elaborate on what environment you are having your P3, network or single user.
1. If you are logging on a network before you open your P3, it is most likely that you don’t have a read and write access to the P3WIN directory or any of its subfolders. So, first you have to log into your computer as an administrator, we call it local administration, and go to windows explorer, right click the P3 directory and choose sharing and security on the pop-up. Add your Network ID or make sure your network ID has all the access enabled for these directories. Then you can go back to the network and restart P3.
2. If it is single user, check your P3.ini located on Windows directory and see if the WORKLOC directory is beyond 54 characters from the root directory. P3 was created in the 90’s when DOS was still one of the reigning OS. So it means it follows the 8+3 rule of filenaming and other limitations. Make sure that the directory listed is as near as possible to the root directory, that is from C:\ Many errors in P3 are caused by these limitations since we’re already used with the new Windows OS’s wherein you can almost create a folder with endless description. My suggestion is, in using P3, try to minimize your folder names to 8 characters, same goes with filenaming.
Hope this helps.. and remember, deadlines will always be there, get used to it... Cheers,