Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importing data into P3

4 replies [Last post]
Brian Chan
User offline. Last seen 16 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

I’m starting to build a new schedule, and I’m trying to build my activities and logic in Excel first to import into P3. I’ve inputed resources and budgeted quantity using the RES and BQ headers, but I can’t seem to find a way to specify Units per Timeperiod(day), or to turn on the Driving Resource Flag.

Is there a way to specify these within the Import function?

Replies

James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 20 weeks ago. Offline
Brian

I am quite sure that you can import custom data items via .DBF as I’ve done it before (although now you’ve said that I’m going to run off and check!)

*However* Pervasive ODBC only gives you a read-only view on the custom data items, you cannot write to them through that method ... which is a pain.

The RA files many people have had success with, so probably worth a try. I had some comprehension issues with them (I couldn’t work out how they work!) and so stuck with ODBC / DBF methods as that way I can see what’s going on.
Mangesh Khuspe
User offline. Last seen 43 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi
Brain use the Excel Files found in the RA folder on the P3 cd, its great to use and makes life easy, but a word of caution do not schedule the project using the excel files as there is soem problem with it.
Otherwise its gr8 to use, I developed the whole WBS for the project in shortime using this files.

cheers
mangesh
Brian Chan
User offline. Last seen 16 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Thanks James,

I’ve actually gone through those steps already and P3 doesn’t appear to export that data. I was hoping that the import process would recognize those on its own naming codes RDRV and UPT, but it hasn’t worked.

Also, I’ve been trying to import Custom Data Items with no luck.
James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 20 weeks ago. Offline
Brian

best way I have found is to make a small number of activities in P3 with the data in that you’re looking to import. Then Export this data and look through the headers to catch the differences.

That said, for resource units / time period, this is a derived figure in P3. P3 calculates it from the OD and BQ figures. Not sure about the driving resource flag, it’s possible that it isn’t included in teh export, however put 2 resources on an activity (or make 2 activities, one with the driving flag on and one with it off then export all activity data and see where the differences are in teh export. Theer are some things, however, that can’t be set with an import DBF (or at least I can’t work out how to set them)