Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Help! WBS and activity code for Pipeline

6 replies [Last post]
Filippo CARTA
User offline. Last seen 5 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Guys

I just moved from the aviation industry into a Pipeline Construction company.

The Company I am working for asked me to define a WBS and a list of activity code in order to Plann a new 42 Km Pipeline project using primavera. They never used it before.

Any help

Thanks in advance
Filippo

Replies

ulysses garcia
User offline. Last seen 13 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
To satisfies you clients needs . as what Bill says you can use WBS conbined into activity code for as long as you treat it level wise..
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Fillipo,

The best way is to follow as per the Bill’s suggestion to apply your WBS.

Cheers

Daya
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 8 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Fillipo

Best of both worlds is what i do.

Make a activity code structure that is the same level as your WBS

Example
level 1 activity code first WBS Level Project Total
level 2 activity code Second WBS level, say EPCI
level 3 activity code 3rd WBS level, say areas

and so on and so on and the pipeline activities noted by joy are good
And remember, Pipelining is a differient breed, set it up as spreads and KP between spreads or hydrotest Sections.
have fun Bill
Joy Fernandes
User offline. Last seen 8 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
FILLIPO,
I would advise u to use activity codes over wbs.The sequence would be as follows

ROW-RIGHT OF WAY
TRANSPORT/UNLOAD/STRINGING
TRENCHING/EXCAVATION
FIELD BENDING/FIELD JOINTING/COATING
WELDING OPERATION
NDT
BEDDING
LOWERING
TIE-INNS
PADDING/BACKFILLING
REINSTATEMENT
Jaco Stadler
User offline. Last seen 17 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
For a pipeline type of job (42 km) I would suggest to stay away from Primavera p3 and move to software that uses line of balance. It is so easy and everybody understand it. If you do insist on using p3 then get a software package that can interface with a line of balance package and work from their.

To do a WBS for a pipeline you must have look at the job Specific. Break the Job down as per the method you are planning to manage the JOB. By Area / Disciple / Phase etc.

Cheers
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Filippo,

Interesting they should ask you for a WBS on a pipeline.

The sequence is easy. Excavate, weld/selected backfill/lay pipe/backfill and compact. I was educated here, and have a lot of experience with Italian contractors WWII POW’s, and they did not know PLANNING OR WBS, BUT THEY ALWAYS GAVE A QUALITY JOB ON TIME.

It sounds to me that the management heard WBS and don"t understand it. There is beetter ways, of setting up the project by activity coding, rather than WBS, which is to rigid and a pain.

Bueanna