Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3 wont run

36 replies [Last post]
Ray Notley
User offline. Last seen 12 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
When trying to run my P3 (which was running fine up until 2 days ago) , I get the following message "c:winntsystem32autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-Dos and Microsoft Windows applications".

Can anyone tell me the fix for this ?

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 1 hour ago. Offline
Good to know.

Thanks for posting the solution that worked for you. Somehow I got back my system but really did not know after so many steps.

Best regards,
Rafael
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Rafael,

Registry removal or anything whatever we have discussed, is not at all required.

Refer to Post # 13 by Daya,

Even if u have uninstalled P3, then also u can resolve this issue within no time.

Reinstall pervasive drivers with isntructions as given by Daya and then re-install P3.

Absolutely no problem

Cheers,

Ravi
mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 5 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Dayanidhi Dhandapany

Thanks very much, you can’t imagine how much your trick has helped me ( and my colleague)

best regards

mimoune
aboo backer
User offline. Last seen 3 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Hi

am in planning for about 1 yr

i have done programms in MSP & Primavera

Now am working in a site as an assitant planning engineer

i used to update and schedule d programm

can i any body send me a sample resume of asst. planning engineer so that i can upgrade my CV.

Pls mail it to my id aboobacker1985@yahoo.co.in or @hotmail.com
Rafael Davila
Hemanth

There is a utility that completely removes ODBC drivers from Windows XP called XPlite.

REPAIR!
More than a powerful configuration utility - XPlite give you amazing control to repair Windows as well. If a particular technology gives you trouble you can completely remove it, and then reinstall it as cleanly as the day Windows was first installed on your computer.

http://www.litepc.com/

http://www.litepc.com/xplite/oscomptop.htm

http://www.litepc.com/xplite/odbc.htm

When running XPlite it will show all windows components installed with a checkmark under the tab Add/Remove Components. If you want to completely remove your ODBC drivers expand Operating System Options and uncheck ODBC Database drivers. XPlite sets a system restore point before adding or removing features to guarantee you can ’roll-back’ changes.

Reinstall Service Pack 3, P3 and Suretrak and hope for the best. Maybe MS Access and Excel will require running a repair as to restore their ODBC drives. Anyway anything is better than reformatting your hard disk and restoring all drivers, software, settings and user data.

Because I solved my issue I have not tried this option, if your EDP people find there is nothing to lose, then in such case you might give it a try.

Hemanth you can e-mail me an empty e-mail to rafael.davila@onelinkpr.net so I can send you back some links that might be of interest to you regarding this utility. You will need the pro version, the tral version will not remove ODBC.

I am 8 hours earlier than you, not much of a window to be online at the same time.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/full.html?sort=1

Best regards,
Rafael
Rafael Davila
All issues are with Btrieve, P6 uses another Database. I did not have to re-install SP-3 a registry restore was all I needed. Tell your EDP people, show this communication to them.

The last thing occurs to me is reinstalling the drivers in the hope for you to see again your connection and be able to delete it so the registry values are reset to unlock the database.

Wow this is though, databases are tricky. Whatever you decide to do make a full backup.

Talk to you tomorrow, here is late in the evening.

Best regards
Rafael
Hemanth Kumar
User offline. Last seen 1 year 8 weeks ago. Offline
thanks Rafael for your time
but

i dont have any said connection in the user DSN
I can install SURETRAK3
but does not runs
it says

"Unable to find a serial number .Please make sure that the files in the Program or work directory,as specified in the registry,are not marked READ-ONLY"
-----------------------
IT guys told me to reinstall XP service pack 3
done .........but no change
-------------------------------------
P6 works fine
Rafael Davila
Because a registry restore worked for me I suspect the issue is not necessarily in missing system files but in the registry.

I/We had an issue on licensing, if we have a standalone installation or a single license you cannot have two connections at the same time.

Perhaps our problem started just after setting up a connection to the database that is locking your database files and does not allows anyone else to access the database, being a single license installation. What if we created a permanent connection that is not unlocked automatically?

To delete the connection that might be causing the problem go to Control Panel, click Administrative Tools and then click Data Sources (ODBC). Under User DSN tab you should have the original Btrieve Connection, it should read something like P3 under user name and PB Intersolv …Btrieve under Driver, leave these as is. Look for the connection that was created by the Pervasive Software, under name can be any you assigned during your setup, under driver it should read Pervasive Software OBDC-32, finally delete this User Data Source.

Assuming your original P3 data source is still intact try connecting using P3 or SureTrak, if not try reinstalling either P3 or SureTrak so your P3 User Data Source is restored.

Consult your EDP people to see if this makes sense to them.

Best regards,
Rafael

A D
Hi Hemanth,

I haven’t tried anything yet. It was on my colleagues laptop and P3 is still locked. On my company laptop P3 is still working fine and so, not in a hurry.

I was busy last week, but this weekend I will try what rafael has said or else i will go to the service centre guys. Dont think of formatting so soon.

All the best

Hemanth Kumar
User offline. Last seen 1 year 8 weeks ago. Offline
HI Ravi anything happened

i am facing the same problem
ODBC driver F****d both P3 and suretrak
nothing works

any solution that formatting the harddisk???
A D
Thanks Rafael for ur help.

I will give a try this weekend.

Cheers,

Raviraj
Rafael Davila
Ravirah,

Remember prior to anything make your backups:
1)Registry backup in your computer. The free utility on the following link I just learned seem a good way.
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
2)A Checkpoint: All programs>accessories>system tools>system restore>create restore point
3)A full computer backup in a separate hard disk.

In case of emergency try going back to your original position in the order spelled out before. First try to restore your registry from a registry backup, it worked for me. Next you can try a restore from the System Restore using last Checkpoint. Always in case of disaster a full system backup is handy even in case you won’t restore from this you might be in need of some data not stored in My Documents Folder, this ensure you got everything backed up.

Hoping to hear good news from you early next week,
Rafael

A D
Thanks a ton Rafael,

I will try on this weekend. (Its friday & saturday off here)

Hope this shud work

:-)
Rafael Davila
Raviraj,

Take a look back to my edited previos posting. Seems like the key to restore the registry using XP Sytem restore is by going to Checkpoints. These you can create manually or at times will be auto created.

I did solve my issue with a registry restore, not using XP Sytem restore but a registry restore anyway.

Good luck,
Rafael

For other ways to backup and restore your registry:

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
or
http://free-backup.info/how-to-make-a-backup-of-your-registry-using-rege...
&
http://www.theeldergeek.com/windows_xp_registry.htm
Rafael Davila
The first thing occurs to me is uninstall again P3 and relocate projects folder in order to force the installation to create the folder again in the hope this will have an effect in the registry settings for the database. Then get back the project files to the directory they belong.

If this does not work then will have to figure out which registry entries must be corrected.

To do a registry restore I know of two ways. The first one is using XP System Restore, this is not as good as using a restore from other utility such as, Registry Mechanic, RegCure, Regisry Booster, Wise Registry Cleaner Pro. For these to work you must first regularly backup your registry within the utility. Therefore I suppose this is not what is going to solve your issue.

XP System Restore From:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Windows XP
1.Click Start, click Run, type %SystemRoot%\System32\Restore\Rstrui.exe, and then click OK.
2.On the Welcome to System Restore page, click Restore my computer to an earlier time (if it is not already selected), and then click Next .
3.On the Select a Restore Point page, click the system checkpoint. In the On this list select the restore point area, click an entry that is named "Guided Help (Registry Backup)," and then click Next. If a System Restore message appears that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make, click OK.
4.On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click Next. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration and then restarts the computer.
5.Log on to the computer. When the System Restore confirmation page appears, click OK

I understand you as I just experienced your problems with the drivers but had a registry backup. It blocked not only P3 but also Suretrak.

A D
Thanks Rafael,

I have done the system restore but it is of no use.

Will u plz let me know how am I supposed to do registry restore?

Cheers,

Rav
Rafael Davila
With any of the following most probably you should be back to prior to the start of problem.

1) If you have a registry backup from a registry utility you can restore the registry.

2) If not then you can try with System Restore from Accesories/System Restore.

My experience is that a restore from a registry backup from a utility is more efficient than XP System Restore.

Before adding software always remember to backup your Data and System Files and/or a Full Backup. Usually a registry restore should do it.

Database setup is very tricky, avoid messing with them unless you backup and know what the software is doing to your system. This is the main reason I am against P6 as a solution for those not in need of entreprise Stuff.

A D
Hi Guys,

I have installed Pervasive drivers on one of my colleague’s laptop yesterday, and after that it is giving following two errors:

ERROR # 1:
Software Security Error: CLOCK CHANGED – REBOOT TO ACTIVATE TIME LICENSE (-21)”

ERROR # 2:
A Serial Number could not be locked

I have uninstalled Pervasive ODBC Drivers and also, uninstalled Primavera 3.1 from my computer, but after uninstallation it says:

Unable to delete registry value ’HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.prd\.prd’.

Unable to delete registry value ’HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.prd\shell\open\command\command’.

Unable to delete registry value ’HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pmt\.pmt’.

Unable to delete registry value ’HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wmf\PRMMeta’.

I have deleted these registry values and re-installed Primavera 3.1. But, to of no use. It is still giving the same above two errors of Clock Changed. What am I supposed to do?

I have tried Solution ID: 200292316242 but it is of no use.

What I might have done wrong is at the time of pervasive drivers installation, I have clicked YES when asked for "To use ODBC Interface as a client for a remote scalable SQL or Btrieve server engine" and also clicked YES when asked for "To use ODBC Interface as a client for a local scalable SQL or btrieve server engine"

After that I have uninstalled these drivers and then reinstalled them and clicked on NO buttons. But, it is giving same error.

Any Help please!!!

Rav
Omar Grant
User offline. Last seen 15 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
I once had something similar on my Suretrak at home after playing around with ’Pervasive’ software; subsequently had to remove all references to btrieve/primaver in the registry.

cheers,

Omar
Andy Willard
User offline. Last seen 14 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Try this solution - from the Primavera Website:
Solution ID: 200292316242

Solution 3

Some files are "locked" on the computer due to the abnormal termination of P3. To reopen P3, these files must be closed.

On WIN95/98:

1) Open Task Manager by pressing simultaneously.
2) End task on P3BTRV.
3) Open Task Manager again and end task on W32MKDE.
4) Open P3.
5) If the error still occurs, reboot the computer.

On WIN NT/2000/XP:

1) Go to Task Manager by pressing simultaneously and selecting Task Manager.
2) Go to the Processes tab.
3) End Process on W32MKDE.EXE and NTVDM.EXE
4) Open P3.
5) If the error still occurs, reboot the computer.

MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 4 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
There is at least 2 possibilities: -
1. Please check the Btrieve data engine version.
2. Some software will remove some Window system files when installation. You need to find out which system files is deleted and put back in. (I have this experience when installing Pervasive SQL, 6 Window system files deleted on win95 and 10 will be removed on winXP)
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Tom,

Happy to know that your problem is solved.

Keep in touch with Planning Planet....................

Cheers!!!!!

Daya
Tom Graham
User offline. Last seen 19 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Daya,

Thanks alot for your help - I followed your instructions and my problem is solved.

Cheers.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Hello Tom,

Uninstall the Prevasive Driver which you have installed first then there will not be a problem to open p3 application, it will work normaly.

If you want to reinstall the driver follow these steps:

During re-installation of ODBC, you have to answer a few things,

Q1: Would you like to be use ODBC interface as a client for a remote scalable SQL or Btrieve server engine? Yes or No(buttons will be there)

A1: Default answer is yes, but you have to click "no" button

Q2: Would you like to be use ODBC interface as a client for a local scalable SQL or Btrieve server engine? Yes or No(buttons will be there)

A2: Default answer is yes, you have to click "no" button

Q3: Would you like to run ODBC interface using local pervasive software 32 bit Btrieve Workstation engine? Yes or No

A3: you have to click "yes" button

Then the further questions which appear on the computer screen is not so troublesome to follow.......

I hope the above will help you.

Cheers

Daya
Tom Graham
User offline. Last seen 19 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Fellow Planners,

I’ve just installed P3 V3.1 on a machine running Windows XP SP1. This worked fine initially, but now when I attempt to start P3 I get the error message ’A Serial Number Could Not Be Locked’.

The only thing that has been done to the machine between P3 working and not working, is that I installed the Pervasive 32 bit ODBC drivers.

I’ve heard of this problem before and thought the answer was to enter the task manager, kill some processes (wowexec.exe was one I think...) and restart, but I’m struggling to turn this theory into practice.

If anyone knows the solution to this, your help would be greatly appreciated.
X Planner
User offline. Last seen 8 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Uninstall winxp sp2....

or perform a system restore to a date before u install the service pack 2

Hope that will Help
Paul Maddocks
User offline. Last seen 2 years 11 weeks ago. Offline

To establish exactly which files may be missing or corrupted, do a search for the 3 files in the system32 folder. If any of the files cannot be found you will need to reinstall them from either your OS Installation disk or a folder on your system_root called i386.

To resolve this issue, type the following commands at a command prompt to expand the Autoexec.nt, Command.com, and Config.nt files from the Windows XP installation CD-ROM to the WindowsSystem32 or WinntSystem32 folder. Press ENTER after you type each command. When you type these commands, replace cd-rom with the letter for your CD-ROM drive, drive_letter with the drive letter for your system partition, and system_root with the name of your Windows XP folder (this is typically either Winnt or Windows). After you type these commands, restart your computer:

expand cd-rom:i386config.nt_ drive_letter:system_rootsystem32config.nt
Do this for any of the 3 files not found in your search.

The "expand" command is used to decompress the files to their original format.
The above files are utilised for running 16 bit applications in a virtual Windows environment.

Hope this clarifies the reinstallation process.

Good Luck

Paul
Luca Basile
User offline. Last seen 9 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Original XP as well as P3.
All the software is in original.

L.
Rajkumar Shanmugam
User offline. Last seen 18 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Try as paul says or u reinstall the operating system.Remember to back up all data before reinstalling the windows. Presume u are using the original windows xp.
Luca Basile
User offline. Last seen 9 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
I have the same problem.
P3 with WinXP (SP2) dosn’t want to work properly.
I am not able to remove predecessor and successor from the pred/suc window.
I have to push several time the minus bottom before to be able to perform it.
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 4 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Seem Window XP SP2 cause problem.
Recently, there are some noise stated some software cannot run probabyly after winXP SP2 installation.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
try to check P3 knowledgebase for a right soultion........
Paul Maddocks
User offline. Last seen 2 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
I had this problem after installing Windows XP SP 2.
you just need to reinstall the mentioned file and everything will be OK.
Hope this solves your problem.
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Another option is reinstall the software(P3)
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
The obvious question to ask is, "what software did you add or delete 2 - 3 days ago? Perhaps someone has loaded something that changed your operating system. In other words, what has changed?

P.S. Have you considered doing a virus check?

Good luck!