Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Fundamental Weakness

9 replies [Last post]
Rahmat Hidayat
User offline. Last seen 45 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
P3 even P3e can’t do "undo" until now, you can imagine when you accidentally delete a task of thousand-tasks schedule, how do you remember its es,ef,relationships,budget, etc without doing undo? For this reason I’m still not comfort w/ P3. Do you have another opinion ?

Thks

Replies

MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 4 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Ronald is right. NO further improvement will be on P3 3.1, except service pack to fix some bug, no upgrade will be released.
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
For all multi-user database there should not be any undo unless the user log in as exclusive to the db.

I think that Primavera will implement a one step undo in P3e Version 4.0 Don’t know about P3. I guess this is quit simple if the license is under a single user environment.
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Privavera has said many times in the past two years that there will be NO NEW FEATURES implemented in P3. All of their development effort has been turned to their Teamplay, P3e, P3e/c line of enterprise scheduling software. Sadly, what you ask for in P3 will never happen.

Ron Winter.
Luca Basile
User offline. Last seen 9 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
I know sure tarck 3.0 has the undo function implemented!
Rahmat Hidayat
User offline. Last seen 45 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
What I need as a P3 user is an "undo" like other common softwares have, undo function is very beneficial for us. Back-up facility in P3 is basically same with "Save As" in other softwares, it is different with "undo" as I mean. Undo is to undo a previous action or a group of action.

What happen if user "B" want to undo some added relationships at 09.11? or if user "A" want to cancel some added activities at 10.00? i think "undo" will be very usefull for each users.

I know the problem is Primavera using real time database. Therefore, I want to suggest Primavera to utilize memory space as a bridge before recording data into database. Is it still possible ?
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Other reason as following:-
Both P3 and P3ec allows multi-users editing the same project at the same time.
Senario as following:-
User "A" added an activitiy at 09:00.
User "B" add dependency to the newly added activity at 09:10.
User "C" modified the activity duration and added some resources at 09:30.

If user "A" want to undo(Remove the activity)at 10:00?
What should happen for the work done by User "B" and "C"?

That is why "UNDO" function is not possible in a multi-user project management system.

MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 4 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
It is not weakness for P3 or P3e/c. I remember some discussion before on this issue. Both P3 or P3e/c is database design and any change or revision is online, instant. Undo is not available in any database system EXCEPT the programme allow the editing is save to a buffer area and not upload to the running database until you confirm the save. In principle, the online is not a truth.

Anyway, create a button for copy is better than backup on this issue. Especially in P3e/c, press a button have a copy, then further editing. IF you want to check what been changed, another button on Claim Digger for comparison. Is it better?
Luca Basile
I still prefer doing it by the P3 drop down windows (Tools->Project utilities->Backup).
More easy to manage, I get too much used to the windows system!!!
the run tools or open an Ms-dos windows is become real an unsually function.
Luca Basile
I remember when a longf time ago lotus 123 did not have the undo function ...
I am agree is a very usefull function, but in any case I think a backup copy of the schedule on weekly basis, as well as before each change is a good pratice also if the package has the undo function.

L