Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Is P3e really the new P3?

12 replies [Last post]
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
All,

I always like to look at vacancies on the web and it seems that a lot of employers still look for people who are well versed in P3.

I have used P3e but never P3.

Do you think P3e is destined to fully replace P3? Is it still in the change over phase?

Replies

A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Frashid,

In P3e CD, thers is a technical manual from Primavera itself. For me, thats the best book for reference.

Can download from primavera website. (FTP)

Cheers,

Raviraj A Bhedase
farshid shahverdi
User offline. Last seen 3 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
HELLO ALL

IS ANY BODY CAN HELP TO ME FIND ANY MANUAL (USEFUL MANUAL)
FOR p3E
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
My copy of P3, Version 3.1 Service Pack 3 is copyright 2004. I believe that P3 Version 3 came out in 2003. Back in 1993, I think that P3 was still a DOS-based software (before the Windows versions.)
Oliver,
I don’t think that P3 will last long. Last version of this software was published in 1993. It was not improved since then and becomes more and more outdated.
I think that P3 users will migrate to other software very soon. P3e is one of potential choices, in different countries the situation is different but it is presented everywhere competing with local favorits like Asta products in GB and Spider Project in Russia.
Regards,
Vladimir
Oliver Melling
Vlad,

The original question was do you think P3e will replace P3.

Whether they were originaly made by different people is irrelevant, i want to know if you think P3e will replace P3 as the benchmark standard planning tool in the construction industry?

If the consenus is that it won’t then it leads to me needing to train on P3 in order to progress to working overseas. But will this be the case in say, 3 years?

Cheers
Alexandre,
original name of P3e was Eagle Ray and this package was originally presented (not by Primavera) at PMI’98 in Long Beach, California.
Regards,
Vladimir
Reply to the original question:
P3e and P3 are different packages originally developed by different teams in different companies.
Oliver Melling
Mmmm,

I have worked at places that still use MSP 2002.

How long will the majority migration to P3e take?

If I plan on working abroad in the future, will there be many P3e planning jobs to choose from?
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
The President of Primavera has publicly stated that they will sell P3 for as long as their customers want to buy it. He also pledged to support P3 at least until 2010. The way I hear it, P3 sales continue very strongly mainly because it meets the needs of construction without a lot of IT bells and whistles added on.
Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 31 weeks ago. Offline
If you visit the Primavera web site you will see no mention of P3. I do not believe it is possible to purchase P3 although Primavera will continue to support existing users.