Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Where can I find EVM case studies?

6 replies [Last post]
Kevin Allen
User offline. Last seen 21 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Im taking an graduate certificate course sequence in PM. MY current class in covering EVM. Id like to find some EVM case studies to research for a paper. Any ideas where I can find some? The case studies need to have enough detail to apply EVM analysis tools, or show how application of EVM would have improved project control. I dont want all the answers, so I have to research the project and draw those conclusions myself. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!!

Replies

Paul Kidston
User offline. Last seen 8 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
David
The reason you didnt get a reply is a couple of typos in the email address which should be paul.kidston@uk.taylorwoodrow.com . I am always happy to answer any correspondence (eventually!)- provided it gets through! one thing anyone interested in this subject should be aaware of is the recently published UK guidelines, which amongst other things have been praised by the Japanese Government who are apparantly intending to use these rather than the US or Australian guidelines. They are available from the APM (http://www.apm.org.uk)
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Have you looked at the MTC web site. MTC are very active in assisting and training clients in implementing and training for EVM, as well as IBR (Integrated Baseline Reviews. Have you tried their web site? It is: www.mtc.aust.com
Hope this helps.
David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Jason…

Yes, I do think it would be a good idea to have an EVA/EVM forum but I am not sure if I could be a lead contributor. Whilst interested in the subject it is by way of researching forecasting tools. As I implied I am pretty sceptical of EVA/EVM in construction but remain open-minded and open to conversion!

For instance I have contacted the author of the article I cited but haven’t received a reply (I give people the benefit of the doubt though and assume they are too busy or that my email hasn’t got through). I have another route to Taylor Woodrow’s method but also, as yet, that hasn’t borne fruit.

So, as you can see, in my limited experience I still haven’t found practical, actual, use on a sustained basis in the construction industry. I know other groups, particularly the IT sector, are users but their activities, resource driven and measured, are far removed from the usual construction model.

I hope this isn’t going to generate too much anger from advocates of the method. Like Kevin (the guy who started the thread) I’d like to see a few more case studies.

Regards

David
dbordoli@burofour.co.uk
Visit Buro Four
Forum Guest
David,

If we setup an EVM discussion category, would you be able to find the time to contribute some ideas / questions on EV implementation, principles etc?

We have some other guys who are real keen on EV, Daryl Walcroft from Hong Kong is a big EV player. Perhaps there is some scope for moving this forward. It would be good for all of us to have this subject raised up as an improtant "new" issue.

What do you think ?

Regards....Jason
David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Kevin

EVM interests me greatly and I’d love to see it work in construction but so far all my efforts have failed and whilst others say they do it I have seen no evidence of it’s success. However, recently in the UK an article was published in the February 2002 issue of ‘Project’ (Magazine of the Association for Project Management, Volume 14 Issue 8, ISSN 0957-7033).’Where Objectivity and Reality Meet’ (page 24) that described how Taylor Woodrow (a UK construction company) use EVA based on man-hours [contact paul.kidson@uktaylorwoodrow.com].

The same issue has a number of EVA/EVM articles, also worthy of note is ‘Earned Value’ (page 22) which gives a brief introduction to EV but more importantly provides detauils of the work being undertaken to produce an EV protocol. That work has also now been published. [contact Steve Wake at swprojects@cableinet.co.uk or visit the APM website www.apm.org/uk/evsig].

You should also be aware that the following issue, March 2002, Volume 14 Issue 8, in the letters (page 36) there are a number of criticisms of the previous articles.

If you receive any further information on this subject I’d be grateful if you find time to share it.

Good luck.

David
dbordoli@burofour.co.uk
Visit Buro Four
Forum Guest
Kevin,

If you go to the Links page on the website and enter "earned value" on the search field you should see a couple of interesting websites.

One, in particular (that we have used) titled "Earned Value Management" is most useful.

I think the link is Earned Value Management

Hope this helps.

Regards... The Planning Planet Team