Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Scheduled and Performance % Values not displayed in the WBS

3 replies [Last post]
Prateek Singh
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear Planners,

While analysing my project; the Scheduled % and Performance % values are not being shown in the WBS level and are only reflected for the activities. The schedule does not have any costs,resources or units assigned to it.

I need to compare the Current Progress with the Planned progress.

Please Help.

-Prateek

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

sure if you can use a blended rate such as $25/hour go to your resources and under the Units & Prices tab in the Price/unit 

put $25/H or whatever your blended or average hourly rate may be.

Also for the resource on the details tab make sure that calculate costs from units is checked

so now if you have 2 manhours on an activity it wil take 2*$25=$50 for your budgeted costs  

Prateek Singh
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks Zoltan,

I have updated the schedules to include budgeted and actual units in the schedule. Is there any way where-in I can link the units to cost thereby enabling me to calculate the schedule and performance % complete fields?

Regards,

Prateek

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

if you do not have any resources then you can not compare and % completes how do you intend to measure you have nothing to measure against. The only thing that you can measure is % complete as it relates to time and it has to be on a linear basis. For example you have a project it is 100 days longs so if you are on schedule on day 50 you should be 50% complete that would be your planned % complete. But lets say that on day 50 due to the lack of progress that now your project is projected to complete in 120 days so you can say that you are 20 days behind schedule so that means that day 50-20 days behind schedule you only earned 30 days. So now you planned % complete was 50% but now you are only 30% complete. 

This is in its simplistic terms on a straight line approach and not having a measuring stick such as manhours and or dollars as tool to measure by makes it difficult to measure anything except time. 

If looking at the summary Schedule % complete it uses (BCWS*100)/BAC which is the Budgeted Cost for Work Scheduled times 100 divided by the Budgeted At Completion Costs.

The Summary Performance % complete uses (BCWP*100)/BAC which is the Budgeted Cost for Work Performed times 100 divided by the Budgeted At Completion Costs.

since you have no resource you will get zero 

There is a tool called project tracker that will give you the percentages without resources but is based on a linear progression of time as I have stated in the first part of this post.

here is the link

http://www.willmer.co.uk/projecttracker