Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

FF and SS Links

9 replies [Last post]
Susiri Leelaratna
User offline. Last seen 7 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am using MSP Standard 2002. I have encountered the following problems with SS and FF links:

a. Finish to Finish Link: Predecessor’s calendar is transferred to the Successor.

b. Start to Start Link: When an activity has got only a "successive Start to Start Link", as soon as "Actual start" (or % complete) is entered it becomes an open end activity. (Total float calculates up to the project end date)

Can anyone explain/ help as how to resolve?

Regards
Viraja Leelaratna

Replies

Susiri Leelaratna
User offline. Last seen 7 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Easin,

Thanks a lot for your advice on my Question b. The problem is that I have a quite a lot of activities with “Successive SS links”. It’s said that “Constraints must be used only where it is unavoidable/ required”. Therefore, I’m afraid to use too many constraints in my project.

To All PP Members,

Thanks to Paul Harris, my Question a (FF links with 2 different calendars) has been now resolved. It was more to do with MSP2002 Standard which I was using. After upgrading to MSP 2003 Standard and pressing F9 (recalculation), I got the correct float calculations.

Regards
Viraja Leelaratna
ersin namli
User offline. Last seen 12 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Mr. leelanatra
answer for the question (b. Start to Start Link: When an activity has got only a "successive Start to Start Link", as soon as "Actual start" (or % complete) is entered it becomes an open end activity. (Total float calculates up to the project end date)
If you double clik on first activity and reach task information on the 4th tab (advanced tab) there is constraint type chose must finish on and select finishing date of activity in constraint date part so you can adjust the float or you can make it critical activity
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 30 weeks ago. Offline
There are a few odd things in way MSP calculates.

Try turning on and off the “Update task status updates resources status” and entering a % Complete against a summary task and see the differences in the way it calculates the % Completes against the child tasks!

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Paul Harris
You can make MSP simulate Retained Logic and Progress Override by turning on or off “Split in Progress”.

With “Split in Progress” is checked you will get Retained Logic, except when the % complete of the successor is 0% then you get Progress Override.

With “Split in Progress” unchecked you will get Retained Logic.

Paul E Harris
www.eh.com.au
Ernesto Puyana
User offline. Last seen 8 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
When 2 activities are linked Start to Start and the successor starts before the predecessor (out of logic), under the logic override mode, the link is broken and the predecessor becomes open ended, but I don´t see a reason for this to happen when it is the predecessor which starts first.
Paul Harris
I am unable to replicate your observations.

Could you please email me simple schedules one with the before and one with the after result of each problem, harrispe@eh.com.au.

Paul E Harris
www.eh.com.au