Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

B.o.Q Vs Specification

7 replies [Last post]
khawaja uddin
User offline. Last seen 9 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I am referring to the Mike  part of reply  to my previous post 

"..........This is based on the principle that if there is no BOQ item to price then the obligation is not included in the contract price....." .

I have case where certain items are not priced in B.o.Q but are covered in specification.As per the condition of sub contract ,specification take precedence to other documents.

Am I justified in arguing that what is not priced in B.o.Q is not my scope ?

Rgds

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Khawaja

Sorry but that is the nature of a binding contract - you have promised to prepare CAD as built drawings and priced the BoQ accordingly.

There is no way out.

Having paid for the experience you can at least learn from it.

Best regards

Mike Testro

khawaja uddin

Hi

Thanks Mike .....

Unfortunately we are the MEP contractor!!!!!! and do not understand that ..why we can not take  the benifit of doubt/descrapency ?? or why damages can not  be absorbed equally by the parties to sub contract.

Rgds

Khawaja

Mike Testro

Hi Khawaja

This is the case where you have to read the whole of the contract documents before pricing anything.

Can you offload the problem onto your M&E sub-contractor?

Best regards

Mike Testro

khawaja uddin

Hi All,

Another case ...its a lumpsum contract.....whwer B.o.Q says"provision of as built drawings for the entire plumbing and mechanical system " and therfore we have allowed some nominal  amount agaianst this item.

When we were asked to refer to the condition of contracts ..which says that all the as built drawings   shall be prepared on CAD STANDARD..it  is costing us a lot ....is there any escape route ??

Rgds

Khawaja

Mike Testro

Hi Khawaja

This is a common problem in fixed price lump sum projects.

The contract usually has words such as "The Contractor is to complete the works in accordance with the drawings and specification including everything necessary for the proper operation of the plant - including everything that may be reasonably inferred therein."

So as a contractor experienced in this type of work you would know that a fish scale grating would be required - especialy as it is mentioned in the specification - and include it in your price.

You may have a case if the employer is requiring a silver plated fish scale grating when a stainless steel one will do the job.

Best regards

Mike Testro

khawaja uddin

Let me try to be more specific .....

Its a lumpsum contract......the item I am talking about is...... .fish scale grating....and this item is neither shown in any drawing nor priced in B.o.Q.... but as  its a part of specification..and as specification take precedence over other documents..therefore we are being instructed to provide this item at no extra cost....  

hope you got more clear picture about the issue  to give a better advice..

Rgds

Khawaja

Mike Testro

Hi Khawaja

It depends on who owns the quantity risk.

If it is a pure remeasurement contract then if an item is not in the BoQ then it is not in the contract price.

I had a case once when the rebar for a bridge was missing in the BoQ but it still had to be included in the contract programme because it was a specified part of the works.

Only the price was adjusted.

When it comes to preliminary items the usual practice is to list each contract clause and invite a price to be added for the obligations described.

So if there is no prelims itme for DLP then it could be argued that is not in the contract price and should be added.

It is more problematic if it is a fixed price lump sum - with or without a BoQ.

Best regards

Mike Testro