Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Distribution- Anomalise

7 replies [Last post]
Jiso Thomas
User offline. Last seen 11 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hai Friends,

Onother issue.We are loading more resources in one activity.But in reality both resources will not start cuncurrently.
Example,
Pipe fitter will start first after 3 days welder will start welding.But when i am taking the spread both will start at the same time.

In my organization, we are using craftwise table for comparing actual and planned figures in management meeting.

In the start up stage of piping and structural activities i am getting unrealistic forcast at structul welder and pipe welder.In my netwok i have more than 50000 activities.

I think that now all of you have enough understanding about my issue.Please help me if you have any idea.

Replies

Jiso Thomas
Hai Vladimir,

I thought about this idea.But there are two constraints.My net work is already claimed 52% progress and it will minimum double the no of activities in network.I had more than 5000 activities in my network and it will be hard for me to bi weekly network maintanance.Anyhow thanks for your suggestion.

Regards,

Jiso
Dieter and Andrew gave good advises but I don’t understand why not to make fitting and welding as different activities. It is quite natural and solves the problem.
Regards,
Vladimir
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Absolutely agree to Andy
Dieter
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Jiso,
I don’t use the resource curves unless the activity is a long one and you can identify a specific requirement to use a curve.

I know that it seems that they are potentially a good thing to use, but if you are having trouble doing a resource analysis the use of curves will only add a further level of complexity to the whole thing.

It’s just like all of the other bells and whistles in Primavera, you may think you can use them, but often simplicity is easier to explain and analyse. Like I said if you can identify a specific requirement, knock yourself out and use it.

Andy
Jiso Thomas
My hearty appreciation to Andy and Dieter,

I got an idea to solve my problem.But what about resource curve? is it applicable in this case?

Regards,

Jiso
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Jiso
If you’ll have a look into the possible columns for resource assignments (righ mouse button in that area) there is one: "Original Lag". If the welder for a certain group of activities always will start 3 days later, you can assign the lag to all assignments by Global Change, group "resource assignments".
Regards
Dieter
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Jiso,
there is a function at the resource assignment level within P5 that will allow you to add a lag to the commencement of the work by individual resource.

Then there is the need to manage the end of a resources efforts on a task at the assignment level by using the assignment actual finish date if you are finishing a resource off before the activity finishes.

Unfortunatley, you will need to spend an inordinate amount of time managing resources at this level and you will need to be all over your schedule like a fat kid on a cup cake.

Not sure what you’re up to with the resources in your schedule but I have written a paper which is available here Primavera Resource Document, on Paul Harris’ web site Eastwood Harris - Project Management Consulting, Books & Training.

If you need any more info post your specific question here and if I don’t know someone will.

Andy