Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How does P3e roll up progress to WBS level?!

3 replies [Last post]
Jason Boud
User offline. Last seen 18 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
I don’t understand the figures mainly.

Cost wise there’s 5 activities within the WBS element with a combined budget of £525k, the individual physical percent completes give an earned value of £280k or 53%.

Manhour wise the activities have 850 hours between them, 200 have been progressed as earned giving 24%.

Using Performance percent complete to roll up the figures gives me a value of 2.5% progress for the WBS element, I dont have much hair to tear out and I just don’t get it?!

Any ideas gratefully recieved...

Replies

Jason Boud
User offline. Last seen 18 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Cheers guys, it seems that I need to use ’resource percent complete’ to allow the calculation to work correctly, we’ve not been using them here as it conflicts with forecasting our own ETCs. I’m not sure there’s a simple answer to what I want to achieve but at least I know now where the figures come from!
Niek Zonneveld
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Jason,

There are quite a few elements that influence the EVA calculation, so the best way is to go back step by step and determine where the numbers come from.

First you need to understand how the EV/BCWP is calculated in the specific WBS element you are rolling up your numbers in, since this can differ per WBS element. (with WBS milestones it totally ignores activty progress for instance)

Then you go back to the activity level and verify the BCWS, ACWP, and BCWP numbers. Check what baseline is used for BCWS calculation because this is often forgotten. This will allow you to understand how these number roll up and provide CV’s and SV’’s at the WBS level.

Hope this helps,

Niek.
Bill McMichael
User offline. Last seen 12 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Performance % compl = (Earned Value Cost ) / (Budget at Completion) * 100.

You may want to check the Earned Value calculation tab on Admin Preferences, since EV can be calculated on budgeted or at completion values.

Regards,
Bill