Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Standard Engineering Manhours

7 replies [Last post]
Berli Berli
User offline. Last seen 9 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Expert Planners- a call for help,

Can anyone tell me in their experience about the Engineering Manhours for Oil & Gas industry ?

Thanks,
Berli

Replies

Jenny Ingco
User offline. Last seen 2 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

Sir,

I have same issue but I didn't get your answer. Are you guys talking in P6 primavera?

Thank you,

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 2 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Been doing this for 30 years. Tip number one:

Manhour estimates from estimating systems, Work mangement systems e.g. SAP, Maximo, are increasing presented to planning unfactored. I.e. no allowance for non productive time like meal breaks, permit delays etc. So how do we factor them? There are three alternatives.

1) Factor the hours e.g. if the estimate says 50, type in 70 to the planning system.

Issue: the estimate and the plan become irreconcilable as factors vary from one worktype to the next.

2) Factor Resource availability e.g if you have 5 fitters, tell the planning system you have 4.

Issue: Manpower planning becomes inelegent

3) Factor the working day, e.g. if the fitters "work" for 10 hors per day, tell the planning system there are only 8 hours per day

Issue: The boss is confused if you present planniong information on intervals less than a day, as no work is scheduled between, say, 11:00 and 14:00

My choice is always method three. Calander control is usually easy (unless you are am MSP user) and mutiple calanders with a variety of working hours.
Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
User offline. Last seen 6 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Petro,
Please contact with me with my email Mehdi.rashidi@engineer.com for your question.

B/R
David Watters
User offline. Last seen 19 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Sorry for delayed response - yes we do BUT the information you are asking for is very specific and I am not able to provide information. Also, it could be misleading as our gaggle of engineers are all london types who takes years to agree to anything.

We are lucky to have a detailed databse of project statistics here, and competant Team Leaders. Maybee that would be your first port of call? Talk to the Team Leaders and get their views owing to your projects complexity etc and then go on from there?
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Similar Topic: Man Hours
Berli Berli
User offline. Last seen 9 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
David, Thanks for your respons..
What I want to know is the standard manhours for engineering deliverables productivity i.e specification, calculation, data sheet, drawing, material take off and cost estimate for each discipline i.e process, piping/pipeline, electrical, instrument, mechanical & structure...
Do you have any reference for that... ?

Thanks,
Berli
David Watters
User offline. Last seen 19 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Yes - Currently planning 3 off offshore platfroms in North Sea. What do you want to know?