Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

External Relationship Not Shown When Exported to Excel

3 replies [Last post]
Richard Daoud
User offline. Last seen 12 years 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,
When I export the activity relationships to Excel only the relationships internal to the project are shown: the relationships to external projects are not shown.
I checked if there is an option in the export wizard that may allow me to choose or not that the external relations be shown but I couldn’t find such an option.

Can anyone help me in how to show the external relationships in the exported Excel file?

Please note that I am using P6.

Thanks,
Richard

Replies

Ian Nicholson
User offline. Last seen 14 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
The key is in "I select the project I want to export".

You can only export one project at a time using the excel functionality, so there is no way to get the external relationships.

You need to use the XER export to get relationships to other projects and even then all the projects have to be open at the same time (as Ron said).

The XER parser tool is very useful to manipulate data. It’s not as easy to use as the Excel import/export but it is much more powerful. It’s available on the knowledgebase.

Ian

http://www.emerald-associates.com
Richard Daoud
User offline. Last seen 12 years 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Ronald,
I am respecting the two points that you mentioned but still the exported Excel file does not show the external relationships.
By the way, for making the export I use the following while opening all linked projects into P6 :
go to menu File -> Export -> Spreadsheet-(XLS) -> Activity Relationships -> I select the project I want to export -> select the template (without specifying any filter inside it) ->.....
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Richard,

If Excel export works the same as P6 export, then you need to do two things to get P6 to export external relationships to Excel.

1) The schedule has to have its CPM optional calculation settings set to not ignore external relationships.

2) You need to open all of the ‘external’ schedules at the same time as you open the one schedule you want to export.

These two things tell P6 that you also want to export the ‘open’ relationships. Good luck!