Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MIlestones with invalid relationships...

2 replies [Last post]
Bo Johnsen
User offline. Last seen 8 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

When looking at the schedule log I get some warnings / errors concerning "milestones with invalid relationships".

When examining the milestones reported as invalid and those not reported as errors I can’t find any specific differences. What I’m looking for to correct this issue?

I tried to run a schedule check in Pertmaster/PRA on the same programme and even though also a Primavera product, Pertmaster didn’t report anything on "milestones with invalid relationships".

Any suggestions how I can sort out the "invalid milestone"-problem?

Regards,

Bo

Replies

Bo Johnsen
User offline. Last seen 8 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks again, Dieter

Analysing the relationsships and the schedule log during trial and error, I’ve so far come to the following results:

1) When a start milestone (succ.) is linked from a start milestone (pred.), the only available options of links are FS or SS, however, the schedule log will report "invalid relationship" when FS, but not on SS.

2) When a finish milestone (succ.) is linked from a finish milestone (pred.), the only available options of links are FS or FF, however, the schedule log will report "invalid relationship" when FS, but not on FF.

3) When a start milestone (succ.) is linked from a finish milestone (pred.), the only available options of link is FS.

4) When a finish milestone (succ.) is linked from a start milestone (pred.), the only available options of link are FS or SF. The schedule log does not report any errors no matter which one is utilized.

Haven’t yet investigated if lead/lags have any impact on the above, however, the above have worked for me so far.

Regards,

Bo
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Bo

For Start and Finish Milestones not all types of relationships are possible.
But in my opinion:just ignore these warnings. I never realized any bad impact onto the schedule due to these "wrong" relationships.

Regards
Dieter