Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Performance % Complete Vs Schedule % Complete

16 replies [Last post]
MNT .
User offline. Last seen 13 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all,

I am preparing a schedule for the project which is already in the mid-way. The project started back in Jan 2008. I have updated all the completed tasks.
1: I want to get Time Distributed Data for the Performance % complete and Schedule % complete in order to make S-Curve. I think it can be done through Reports but How? My schedule does not have resources assigned. I am using weightage in terms of cost for all the activities; the performance % complete is being calculated through this.
2: Currently the data date is set to Project Start Date i.e. 01 Jan 08. I know by changing Data date to 31-Jan, 31- Feb ... on wards, i can get Schedule % complete for the whole project, but How to get Performance % complete for the past periods? The performance % complete is showing 31% completion (after updating the activities) and does not change by changing the data date.

Please Help!!!

Replies

Rody Sol
User offline. Last seen 8 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Gents,

In P6V7 ,Is it possible to show Schedule % Complete and Performance % Complete Values the same in the columns of a Revised Schedule before saving a copy for a new baseline?,Planned dates = Actual dates and Planned Progress = Actual Progress in a Revised Schedule thus making Planned S-Curve = Actual S-Curve prior to Updating and scheduling the new baseline.

Anning Sofi
User offline. Last seen 5 years 50 weeks ago. Offline

MNT

You are going to produce the chart in excel anyway.

An alternative to Arnolds report, and maybe a quicker way, is to use the Assignments Tab at the Left column.

Use your filters, define your layout. At ther right side of the screen is the time scale; rightclick on the right side to define your spreadsheet fields. P6 will show the assignments as per timeframe chosen.

Copy the data, and paste in excel

Generate your S-curves in excel.

Before you exit the Assignment window, save it as a Layout so you can use it next time.

Jerome,

Thank you sir, actualy thats what im doing I hjust want to confirm if it is avialble in report tabs because maybe we can still edit it..

Thank you,

Jun

Jerome Soriano
User offline. Last seen 9 years 50 weeks ago. Offline

jun,

s-curve is not available in p6 reports. u can directly generate/print it from activity usage profile or resource usage profile.

mnt,

schedule % complete = planned value divided by budget at completion

performance % complete = earned value divided by budget at completion

earned value & planned value can be seen p6 activity usage spreadsheet, but u have to use the weightage as cost of a dummy resource assigned to activity rather than encoding it as an expense item.

ex. input a resource named "Cost". select material type & calculate cost from units.

assign the resource to activities and in the resource tab>budgeted units, enter the weightage u want to use

after the input the weightage will appear in the budgted cost column in the activity table.

you an now open the activity usage spreadsheet or the resource usage spreadsheet to view the planned values (as weightage) and the earned values (as weightage). You can copy and paste it to excel. Just calculate for the  schedule & performance % complete.

i hope this help.

jerome

ANY ONE KNOWS HOW TO MAKE REPORTS TO SHOW THE S-CURVE GRAPHS IN THE REPORT TABS.

tHANK YOU.

Yaser A. Al-Bustanji
User offline. Last seen 1 year 23 weeks ago. Offline

Dear francis

When using the method mentioned in your post and update schedule to generate actual S curve based on dummy resource i get tow deffent vallues for actul resource consuming on activities one for early dates and other for late dates it means i have tow actul curves and it is not logic please advise me about this matter

MNT .
Thanks Mr. Arnold Puy for your valuable input on the problem.

Please be informed that my project is neither cost loaded nor its units loaded. I’ve just given a dummy expense to each activity amounting to 1$ in order to play with weightages and the percent completes.

The Schedule % complete is always in percent you know. What should be the most appropriate method to get a Time Distributed Schedule percent complete for the whole project in order to plot Planned Curve in Excel.

Anxiously awaiting your prompt response.

Alex!
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Alexander,

In order to produce or create Schedule % Complete" in Report:

1. Go to Reports
2. Add a new report select Next.
3. In Select Subject Area, mark "Time Distributed Data" and select "Activities", then Next.
4. In Configure Selected Subject Areas, Select (e.g. Columns, Group & Sort, and Filter). It depends on your needs. Then select Next.
5. In Date Options, select "Timescale" Date Interval = Month, mark the check box next to "Calculate Average" and put the Total Amount divide it with 100. (i.e. Total Amount = 500,000/100 equals to 5,000). Select OK.
6. Select Time Interval Fields, in "Available Options" select "Time Interval" --> BL Project Total Cost (If your schedule is cost loaded, if not try labor units) then select OK.
7. Mark the check box next to "Show Time Intervals" then Next.
8. In Report Title, rename it with "Schedule % Complete" then Next.
9. Next
10. Save Report then Finish.

Now, Run the Report by clicking the green color "Arrow" located at the right corner of your monitor.

In Run Report, select ASCII "Field Delimiter" (’), "Text Qualifier" (").

In Output File, select the location where you want to save your file .csv and mark the "View file when done" and select OK. This will open the MS Excel Sheet with the corresponding data.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Arnold

Francis Moyalan, ...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Alex,

You could easily do this by making use of the Resource Usage Spreadsheet in the activity and bar chart view. For baseline all the budgeted values will be distributed against the time line where as , and the actual and remaining values could be obtained for the Statused Schedule.

From the above values , you could easily make a profile making use of the spreadsheet.

Cheers
MNT .
Thanks Mr. Francis Moyalan,

This is with reference to my first post.

1: After getting your Scheduled % Complete and Performance % Complete going smooth. How to get Time Distributed Schedule % complete through Primavera Reports; in order to update an excel based S-Curve. For instance I want to get Schedule % complete for every month from Project start to end in order to make planned bar?

Regards,

Alex
Francis Moyalan, ...
Alex,

Dummy Resource assignment would not prolong your project (to avoid beefing up the budgeted quantity using Units/Day could be changed to 1hrs/day which would correctly assign the duration of every activity.

As you pointed out , I afraid we are prolonging any duration here by using this method , rather Primavera calculates this data as a percentage or a ratio hence duration got no impact due to this resource assignment.

Other effective method (bit tedious but result oriented) could be-

Assign your baseline schedule with resources for every activity and these budgeted quantities could be used for getting a baseline profile and on updating you will be able to generate month wise Performance and Scheduled %s.

Cheers
MNT .
Thanks Mr. Francis Moyalon,

The reason for not using the method you pointed out is when I assign a dummy reource to all activities and Schedule the Project. The dummy resource which is having default 8hrs/day prolongs the project.

i.e. A single resource cannot be assigned to multiple activities for a particular duration.

Please suggest something else if i am right.

Kind regards,

Alex
Francis Moyalan, ...
Alex,

I suggest you to assign a dummy(non labour/non material) resource and assign it a default Units/Time as 1. This Resource could be termed as Units per Time Period as it takes up the individual activities original duration as the budgeted quantity.

Any resource allocation you need to do before statusing the program as Primavera doesn’t assign resource to an updated activity.

You can now generate Schedule and Performance % distribution graph against the baseline month wise and on updating the same profile could be repeated for statused Schedule.

I hope this will help you to overcome your bump!!!

Cheers,

Francis Moyalan Varghese
MNT .
Bump!!
MNT .
Bump!!
MNT .
Bump!!